Boroondara residents are great recyclers and it’s important we all keep working together to reduce the amount of materials being collected in our bins.
As a community, we need to think smarter about how we deal with waste in our home, office and business, in particular when dealing with recyclable material.
Here are some simple actions you can take to help reduce items in your recycling bins:
- Drop off paper and cardboard at one of the following drop off centres for free at Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre at 648 Riversdale Road, Camberwell or Kew Depot Recycling Drop-off Centre at 31-35 Hutchinson Drive, Kew.
- Take your flexible/soft plastics to your Coles or Woolworths supermarket for recycling as part of the REDcycle program. Put them all in a plastic bag and take them with you next time you go to the supermarket.
- When buying your groceries, buy loose produce. Don’t buy items with unnecessary packaging. Avoid single-use plastics and single-use packaging.
- Use the ‘notes’ function on your phone to make your shopping list.
- Don’t buy takeaway drinks in disposable cups. Get a reusable cup. Some cafes will even give you a discount on your coffee.
- Say no to disposable straws and plastic cutlery.
- Don’t buy bottled water – use your own drink bottle.
- Ask retailers to take back packaging from appliances and white goods you've purchased. Some retailers will also remove your old appliance and packaging for recycling when they deliver the new one.
- Avoid food packaging by shopping at your local farmers markets. The Boroondara Farmers Market is held every third and fifth Saturday of the month.
- Avoid glass and plastic packaging by taking your own containers and buying bulk, loose products from specialist shops.
Get into some good habits
- Read newspapers, emails, documents and magazines online - avoid printed copies.
- Avoid unwanted printed advertising material by placing a ‘No Junk Mail Please’ sign on your letterbox.Shred your paper and cardboard and add it to your compost bin. This is also really useful to balance your compost bin layers.
- Reuse your cardboard boxes to store items in your shed or flatten them and save them for your next project (or offer your cardboard boxes to others for moving house or other projects).
- Reuse glass bottles and jars for storing food, preserving and pickling or use as candle holders and for other crafty ideas.