If you are planning any kind of home improvement, asbestos could be lurking somewhere, especially if your home was built prior 1990s.

It is important for your health and safety that asbestos is identified and disposed of appropriately prior to starting work.

Why dispose of asbestos correctly?

  • You could break the law and be fined for disposing of asbestos incorrectly
  • Not all transfer stations and landfills can accept asbestos
  • If you are removing asbestos, it must be safely managed and transported to an approved disposal point
  • Avoid putting your health and the health of others at risk.

More information

The Victorian Government has recently launched a new website providing you with information on how to look out for and take care around any suspected asbestos found in your home or workplace.

You can also speak to one of our Environmental Health Officers on 9278 4710.

Close Circuit Television - Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn

Council has been granted $245,000 to install 8 pan-tilt Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras along Glenferrie road. Find out more.


Environmental Health Officers lead a range of activities in their council areas, including regular visits and inspections to tobacco retailers, licensed premises and other venues, to ensure a high level of compliance with the Act. 

Extended smoking bans in force

Smoking is now banned within the grounds of, and within four metres of an entrance to, childcare centres, kindergartens and preschools, and primary and secondary schools in Victoria; as well as children’s indoor play centres, public hospitals, registered community health centres and certain Victorian Government buildings.  

The purpose of the new smoking bans is to:

  • protect the community from exposure to second-hand smoke
  • further de-normalise smoking in the community. The more people see smoking in public places the more they will tend to think smoking is okay, rather than harmful 
  • support people who have quit or are trying to quit smoking.

For more information visit: .

Sharps containers

Council provides a sharps container collection service at our Camberwell office for clients with special needs.

Using greywater at home

Greywater consists of all non-toilet water - water from showers, baths, spas, hand basins, washing machines, laundry troughs and dishwashers. Do not use kitchen sink water as it has a high concentration of contaminants, or black water which is wastewater contaminated by urine and faeces.

To store and treat greywater, a septic tank permit is required and is issued through Council.

If you install a diversion system that does not store and treat the wastewater no permit is required. You do need consent from Yarra Valley Water if any altering works connected to its system are undertaken, the diversion system needs to be installed by a licensed plumber and greywater reuse must not create a public health hazard.