Redevelopment of the Freeway Golf Course (FGC) is underway. This redevelopment is happening due to the impacts of the North East Link Project (NELP).
The golf course was temporarily closed in September 2021 for reconfiguration work.
Highlights of construction completed so far include:
- new timber-faced sand bunkers, which are the first of their kind to be built at any Australian golf course
- laying over 11 hectare of new turf.
We will start installing new pathways made from 6 tonnes of recycled tyres soon, thanks to grant funding from Tyre Stewardship Australia (TSA).
We aim to reopen the new 18-hole championship course in late- 2022.
NELP has acquired around 4 hectares of land from the course to build new North East Link entry and exit ramps at Bulleen Road.
This land acquisition impacts the original course layout, including:
- the former first green
- second hole
- third hole
- fifth green.
This meant we needed to redesign and configure the course within a smaller footprint of land.
On 26 April 2021, Council endorsed a new golf course design and construction method for the reconfiguration works.
The design was developed by leading golf course architects Pacific Coast Design in partnership with Council officers. It also took in feedback from our golfing community and local residents.
These key requirements were carefully taken into consideration when creating the design for the new course:
- Maintain an enjoyable 18-hole golf course experience.
- Provide sufficient challenge and interest for players.
- Ensure safety issues are addressed.
- Design the course so that each group of 9 holes returns to the club house and carpark.
- Ensure there are several touch points to the club house and public amenities.
- Maximise course distance despite the loss of land.
- Minimise impacts to native flora and fauna and improving biodiversity by planting extra trees and understorey vegetation.
- Minimise environmental impacts from working in a sensitive flood-prone environment.
Download the new golf course design
The complete closure of the course makes sure the works are completed in the shortest possible timeframe. It also allows us to reopen an 18-hole course sooner than a staged construction process.
|February 2021||NELP begin Yarra East Main Sewer and reticulation works at Freeway Golf Course||NELP were due to end their occupation at FGC by March 2022, however, they have experienced construction delays and are behind schedule. Any further delays from NELP may impact our ability to reopen the course in late-2022, however, we are still on track at this stage. We will keep our community informed about any changes to reopening dates.|
|24 February to 10 March 2021||Community consultation||Consultation completed|
|April 2021||Council reviewed the new course design (masterplan), the staging options and community feedback||Proposed design endorsed by Council and course closure approved to complete works in a single stage|
|September 2021||Construction works commence||Construction works are underway|
|Late 2022||The aim is for construction to be completed and the course re-opened by late 2022||No current progress updates|