Reconfiguration works are being completed at the Freeway Golf Course (FGC). This is due to the impacts of the North East Link Project (NELP).
The golf course was temporarily closed at the beginning of September 2021 so that reconfiguration work could be completed.
A new 18-hole championship course is expected to re-open in November 2022.
In November 2021, NELP will acquire up to 4 hectares of land from the course to build new North East Link entry and exit ramps at Bulleen Road.
This land acquisition impacts the first green, second hole, third hole and fifth green of the original course layout. This has caused the need to redesign and configure the course within a smaller footprint of land.
On 26 April 2021, Council endorsed a new golf course design and construction method for the required reconfiguration works.
The design was developed by leading golf course architects Pacific Coast Design in partnership with Council officers. It also incorporated feedback from our golfing community and local residents.
The following key requirements were carefully taken into consideration when creating the design for the new course:
- Maintain an enjoyable 18-hole golf course experience.
- Provide sufficient challenge and interest for players.
- Ensure safety issues are addressed.
- Design the course so that each group of 9 holes returns to the club house and carpark.
- Ensure there are several touch points to the club house and public amenities.
- Maximise course distance despite the loss of land.
- Minimise impacts to native flora and fauna and improving biodiversity by planting extra trees and understorey vegetation.
- Minimise environmental impacts from working in a sensitive flood-prone environment.
Download the new golf course design
The complete closure of the course will ensure the works are completed in the shortest possible timeframe. It will also allow us to reopen an 18-hole course sooner than a staged construction process.
Throughout the construction period, on-site guided tours will be made available for our golfing community and surrounding residents to keep everyone informed of the works and progress. More information about these tours will be shared in the coming months.
No other access into the course will be permitted during this time.
|24 February to 10 March 2021||Community consultation||Consultation completed|
|April 2021||Council reviewed the new course design (masterplan), the staging options and community feedback||Proposed design endorsed by Council and course closure approved to complete works in a single stage|
|September 2021||Construction works commence||Construction works are underway|
|November 2021||NELP acquire identified section of FGC land|
|November 2022||Construction is completed and the course re-opens|