Amendment C308boro proposes to implement the recommendations of the City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study Volume 6: Hawthorn East to introduce the Heritage Overlay to 18 individually significant places, eight heritage precincts and one precinct extension on a permanent basis.
Current status (April 2019)
About Amendment C309boro (Interim Heritage Overlays)
Under delegation from the Minister for Planning, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) approved and gazetted Amendment C309boro on 15 April 2019. The amendment applies interim Heritage Overlays to all places recommended in the Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study. The interim controls expire on 31 March 2020.
As the interim Heritage Overlays have now been introduced, any proposals for demolition and other buildings and works may require a planning permit.
For more information about this amendment, please visit the DELWP C309boro page.
Exhibition - Have your say
Amendment C308boro is currently on public exhibition and you now have the opportunity to provide feedback to Council on the proposed changes.
Submissions must be made in writing and received by Monday 3 June 2019.
You can lodge a submission the following ways:
- Online form
- Mail: Boroondara City Council, Strategic Planning Department, Amendment C308boro, Private Bag 1, CAMBERWELL VIC 3124
Please note that all submissions will be treated as public documents and may be viewed by third parties.
Please carefully read the privacy statement before completing the online form which is located at the bottom of the page.
For more information:
- Download a copy of all the amendment and supporting documentation from the download section below
- Visit the Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning website
- View a hard copy of all the amendment and supporting information at the City of Boroondara Planning Counter at 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell.
About Amendment C308boro
On 17 December 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) resolved to commence the planning scheme amendment process to implement the recommendations of the City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study Volume 6: Hawthorn East to introduce the Heritage Overlay to the identified places and precincts.
Council requested authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare and exhibit Amendment C308boro on 21 December 2018. The Minister for Planning authorised the amendment on 19 February 2019 subject to conditions.
As part of the public exhibition process, we have notified and invite feedback from:
- All affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers
- Anyone who lodged feedback as part of the preliminary consultation process and
- Interested stakeholders.
The amendment proposes to include 18 individual heritage places, eight heritage precincts and one precinct extension in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis.
The amendment includes the following precincts and properties:
- Brickfields Environs Precinct (HO841)
- Burwood Road Estate Precinct (HO842)
- Smith’s Paddock (Burwood Reserve) Environs Precinct (HO843)
- Essington Estate & Environs Precinct (HO845)
- Havelock Road, Denmark Hill Road and Linton Court Precinct (HO847)
- Longford Estate & Environs Precinct (HO844)
- Stonyhurst & Athol Estates Precinct (HO846)
- Victoria Road Precinct (HO848)
Individual Heritage Places
- 157 Auburn Road, Hawthorn and 3 Russell’s Place, Hawthorn East (HO866)
- 406 Barkers Road, Hawthorn East (HO849)
- 452 Barkers Road, Hawthorn East (HO850)
- 16 Beaconsfield Road, Hawthorn East (HO851)
- 64 Campbell Road, Hawthorn East (HO852)
- 43 Clive Road, Hawthorn East (HO853)
- 20 Denmark Hill Road, Hawthorn East (HO854)
- 41 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East (HO855)
- 40 Havelock Road, Hawthorn East (HO856)
- 5 Higham Road, Hawthorn East (HO71)
- 29 Leura Grove, Hawthorn East (HO857)
- 100 Pleasant Road, Hawthorn East (HO858)
- 336 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East (HO859)
- Tram shelter between 439A and 441 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East (HO861)
- 417-419 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East (HO862)
- 500-512 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East (HO863)
- 8 Tower Place, Hawthorn East (HO864)
- 9 Widford Street, Hawthorn East (HO865)
The amendment also seeks to update the Schedule to the Heritage Overlay (Clause 43.01), Schedule to the Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme (Clause 72.04) and Schedule to the Background Documents (Clause 72.08) of the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
Once the public exhibition process is complete, Council officers will review all submissions received and prepare a report for consideration by the UPSC.
The UPSC will decide whether to:
- Make changes to the amendment in response to submissions.
- Seek appointment of an Independent Planning Panel and refer any submissions to the Panel for consideration.
- Recommend adoption of the amendment by Council, if there are no submissions or all submissions have been resolved.
- Abandon the amendment.
The report is likely to be considered by the UPSC in late 2019.
For more information please contact, Alexander Antoniadis, Strategic Planner:
- Phone: 9278 4987
- Email: [email protected]
Council will collect the information in your submission to transparently carry out the Planning Scheme Amendment in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Act). The information you provide (including personal information) will be used by Council for that primary purpose or directly related purposes such as contacting you about the project. Council may also use the personal information provided to contact you about other similar projects. Personal information may also be used to update Council’s customer databases to assist Council in discharging its functions or providing services under relevant legislation including the Local Government Act 1989. Council must make a copy of all submissions available for any person to inspect free of charge until two months after completion of the amendment process in accordance with Section 21 of the Act. Submissions will be disclosed in full to Council's consultants (if applicable) who will make recommendations to Council regarding the submissions. Council and the State Government may also publish submissions on their websites, provide copies of submissions, and make publicly available lists of submissions. Submissions may be disclosed in a report to Council which will by virtue of the Local Government Act 1989, be available to the public for an extended period. Requests for access to and/or amendment of the personal information should be made to Council’s Privacy Officer (9278 4444).
Amendment C308 - Explanatory Report [PDF, 306KB]
Amendment C308 - Instruction Sheet [PDF, 87KB]
Amendment C308 - Exhibition Map HO 8, 12 & 15 [PDF, 785KB]
Amendment C308 - Exhibition Map HO 12 [PDF, 253KB]
Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study (revised) [PDF, 38.6MB]
Amendment C308 - Notice of Preparation of Amendment [PDF, 109KB]
Heritage Overlay Fact Sheet [PDF, 62KB]