Amendment C308boro proposes to implement the recommendations of the City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study Volume 6: Hawthorn East to introduce the Heritage Overlay to 17 individually significant places, eight heritage precincts and one precinct extension on a permanent basis.
Current status (June 2021)
On 24 May 2021, Council considered the independent Panel’s report and resolved to:
- Adopt Amendment C308boro to the Boroondara Planning Scheme, as shown in Attachments 1 to 5, in accordance with Section 29(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Submit Amendment C308boro to the Minister for Planning for approval in accordance with Section 31(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Request that the Minister for Planning remove the interim Heritage Overlay which applies to:
- 336 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East
- 356, 358, 360, 362, 364, 366 and 368 Auburn Road, Hawthorn
- 1A, 1, 3, 5 and 5A Miami Street, Hawthorn East
- 5, 11, 13, and 15 (all lots) Grandview Grove, Hawthorn East
- 22 Cambridge Street, Hawthorn East.
- Following the Minister’s approval of Amendment C308boro, update two (2) reference documents to the Boroondara Planning Scheme (the Boroondara Schedule of Gradings Map and Boroondara Heritage Property Database) to include heritage gradings and relevant heritage citations for properties affected by Amendment C308boro.
- Authorise the Director Urban Living to undertake administrative changes to the amendment and associated planning controls that do not change the intent of the controls.
Access a copy of the Council report on our Council meeting page.
In accordance with the resolution, Council submitted Amendment C308boro to the Minister for Planning for approval on 31 May 2021 Council is now awaiting the Minister’s decision.
Once the Minister for Planning has made a decision on Council’s request for approval, Council will notify all affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers as well as submitters of the Minister’s decision.
All relevant amendment documentation is available at the bottom of the page.
About Amendment C309boro (Interim Heritage Overlays)
Under delegation from the Minister for Planning, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) approved and gazetted Amendment C309boro on 15 April 2019. The amendment applies interim Heritage Overlays to all places recommended in the Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study. The interim controls were due to expire on 31 March 2020. Amendment C328boro was gazetted on 12 March 2020 which extended the expiry date for the interim controls to 12 March 2022.
As the interim Heritage Overlays have been introduced, any proposals for demolition and other buildings and works may require a planning permit.
For more information about this amendment, please visit the DELWP C309boro page.
About Amendment C308boro
On 17 December 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) resolved to commence the planning scheme amendment process to implement the recommendations of the City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study Volume 6: Hawthorn East to introduce the Heritage Overlay to the identified places and precincts.
Council requested authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare and exhibit Amendment C308boro on 21 December 2018. The Minister for Planning authorised the amendment on 19 February 2019 subject to conditions.
As part of the public exhibition process, we notified and invited feedback from:
- all affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers
- anyone who lodged feedback as part of the preliminary consultation process and
- interested stakeholders.
The amendment proposes to include 17 individual heritage places, eight heritage precincts and one precinct extension in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis.
The amendment also seeks to update the Schedule to the Heritage Overlay (Clause 43.01), Schedule to the Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme (Clause 72.04) and Schedule to the Background Documents (Clause 72.08) of the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
For more information please contact, Robert Costello, Senior Project Planner:
- Phone: 9278 4537
- Email: [email protected]