Amendment C308boro proposes to implement the recommendations of the City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study Volume 6: Hawthorn East to introduce the Heritage Overlay to 18 individually significant places, eight heritage precincts and one precinct extension on a permanent basis.
Current status (March 2020)
At its meeting on 3 February 2020, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) resolved to:
- Receive and note the submissions to Amendment C308boro (Attachment 1) to the Boroondara Planning Scheme and the Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study in accordance with section 22 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Endorse the officers’ response to submissions and recommended changes to Amendment C308boro and the Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study as shown at Attachments 1 and 2.
- Request that the Minister for Planning appoint a Planning Panel under section 153 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to consider unresolved submissions to Amendment C308boro.
- Refer the amendment and all submissions to a Planning Panel in accordance with section 23(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Authorise the Director City Planning to undertake administrative changes to Amendment C308boro that do not change the intent of the amendment prior to a Panel Hearing.
You can access a copy of the UPSC report.
In accordance with this resolution, Council has written to the Minister for Planning requesting appointment of an independent Panel to consider the submissions. Council is now awaiting the appointment of the Panel.
The Panel Directions Hearing has been scheduled for the week commencing 16 March 2020. The purpose of the Directions Hearing is to clarify administrative and procedural matters of the Panel Hearing.
The Panel Hearing at which the independent Panel will consider submissions has been scheduled for the week commencing 20 April 2020. Please note that these dates are only preliminary dates and may be subject to change.
The panel hearing process is organised by Planning Panels Victoria who will write to all submitters to participate in the Panel Hearing process. As a submitter you will have the opportunity to appear before the Panel in support of your submission. You can provide further written submissions to the independent Panel, if you are unable to attend.
If you have any questions regarding the Panel process:
Following the panel hearing, the independent Panel will prepare a report for consideration by Council. Council must make this report publically available within 28 days of receiving it.
Council officers will review the Panel report and prepare a report for consideration by the UPSC with recommendations. Council does not need to accept the Panel’s recommendations and may resolve to make additional changes to the amendment.
About Amendment C309boro (Interim Heritage Overlays)
Under delegation from the Minister for Planning, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) approved and gazetted Amendment C309boro on 15 April 2019. The amendment applies interim Heritage Overlays to all places recommended in the Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study. The interim controls were due to expire on 31 March 2020. Amendment C328boro was gazetted on 12 March 2020 which extended the expiry date for the interim controls to 12 March 2021.
As the interim Heritage Overlays have been introduced, any proposals for demolition and other buildings and works may require a planning permit.
For more information about this amendment, please visit the DELWP C309boro page.
About Amendment C308boro
On 17 December 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) resolved to commence the planning scheme amendment process to implement the recommendations of the City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study Volume 6: Hawthorn East to introduce the Heritage Overlay to the identified places and precincts.
Council requested authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare and exhibit Amendment C308boro on 21 December 2018. The Minister for Planning authorised the amendment on 19 February 2019 subject to conditions.
As part of the public exhibition process, we have notified and invite feedback from:
- All affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers
- Anyone who lodged feedback as part of the preliminary consultation process and
- Interested stakeholders.
The amendment proposes to include 18 individual heritage places, eight heritage precincts and one precinct extension in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis.
The amendment includes the following precincts and properties:
- Brickfields Environs Precinct (HO841)
- Burwood Road Estate Precinct (HO842)
- Essington Estate & Environs Precinct (HO845)
- Havelock Road, Denmark Hill Road and Linton Court Precinct (HO847)
- Longford Estate & Environs Precinct (HO844)
- Stonyhurst & Athol Estates Precinct (HO846)
- Victoria Road Precinct (HO848)
Individual Heritage Places
- 157 Auburn Road, Hawthorn and 3 Russell’s Place, Hawthorn East (HO866)
- 406 Barkers Road, Hawthorn East (HO849)
- 452 Barkers Road, Hawthorn East (HO850)
- 16 Beaconsfield Road, Hawthorn East (HO851)
- 64 Campbell Road, Hawthorn East (HO852)
- 43 Clive Road, Hawthorn East (HO853)
- 20 Denmark Hill Road, Hawthorn East (HO854)
- 41 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East (HO855)
- 40 Havelock Road, Hawthorn East (HO856)
- 5 Higham Road, Hawthorn East (HO71)
- 29 Leura Grove, Hawthorn East (HO857)
- 100 Pleasant Road, Hawthorn East (HO858)
- 336 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East (HO859)
- Tram shelter between 439A and 441 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East (HO861)
- 417-419 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East (HO862)
- 500-512 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East (HO863)
- 8 Tower Place, Hawthorn East (HO864)
- 9 Widford Street, Hawthorn East (HO865)
The amendment also seeks to update the Schedule to the Heritage Overlay (Clause 43.01), Schedule to the Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme (Clause 72.04) and Schedule to the Background Documents (Clause 72.08) of the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
For more information please contact, Robert Costello, Senior Project Planner:
- Email: [email protected]
Council will collect the information in your submission to transparently carry out the Planning Scheme Amendment in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Act). The information you provide (including personal information) will be used by Council for that primary purpose or directly related purposes such as contacting you about the project. Council may also use the personal information provided to contact you about other similar projects. Personal information may also be used to update Council’s customer databases to assist Council in discharging its functions or providing services under relevant legislation including the Local Government Act 1989. Council must make a copy of all submissions available for any person to inspect free of charge until two months after completion of the amendment process in accordance with Section 21 of the Act. Submissions will be disclosed in full to Council's consultants (if applicable) who will make recommendations to Council regarding the submissions. Council and the State Government may also publish submissions on their websites, provide copies of submissions, and make publicly available lists of submissions. Submissions may be disclosed in a report to Council which will by virtue of the Local Government Act 1989, be available to the public for an extended period. Requests for access to and/or amendment of the personal information should be made to Council’s Privacy Officer (9278 4444).
Amendment C308 - Explanatory Report [PDF, 306KB]
Amendment C308 - Instruction Sheet [PDF, 87KB]
Amendment C308 - Exhibition Map HO 8, 12 & 15 [PDF, 785KB]
Amendment C308 - Exhibition Map HO 12 [PDF, 253KB]
Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study (revised) [PDF, 38.6MB]
Amendment C308 - Notice of Preparation of Amendment [PDF, 109KB]
Heritage Overlay Fact Sheet [PDF, 62KB]