The amendment proposes to implement the recommendations of the Kew Heritage Gap Study to include 20 individual heritage places, nine heritage precincts and six precinct extensions in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis to the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
Current status (May 2019)
Interim Heritage Overlays gazetted (Amendment C293)
Under delegation from the Minister for Planning, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) approved and gazetted Amendment C293 on 16 May 2019. The amendment applies interim Heritage Overlays to all places recommended in the Kew Heritage Gap Study. The interim controls expire on 23 March 2020.
As the interim Heritage Overlays have now been introduced, any proposals for demolition and other buildings and works may require a planning permit.
For more information about this amendment, please visit the DELWP C293 webpage.
Review of submissions received
Public exhibition of this amendment closed on Monday 25 March 2019.
Council officers are now reviewing all submissions received and will prepare a report for consideration by the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC).
The UPSC will decide whether to:
- Make changes to the amendment in response to submissions.
- Seek appointment of an independent Panel and refer any submissions to the Panel for consideration.
- Recommend adoption of the amendment by Council, if there are no submissions or all submissions have been resolved.
- Abandon the amendment.
The report is likely to be considered by the UPSC in July 2019.
For more information
- Download a copy of all the amendment and supporting documentation from the download section below.
- Visit the Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning website.
- View a hard copy of all the amendment and supporting information at the City of Boroondara Planning Counter at 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell.
About Amendment C294
On 16 April 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) resolved to commence the planning scheme amendment process to introduce proposed changes to the Boroondara Planning Scheme. Access a copy of the UPSC report.
Council requested authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare and exhibit Amendment C294 on 27 April 2018. Following authorisation from the Minister for Planning, Council has commenced the exhibition process.
As part of the public exhibition process, we have notified and invite feedback from:
- All affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers;
- Anyone who lodged feedback as part of the preliminary consultation; and
- Interested stakeholders.
The amendment proposes to include 20 individual heritage places, nine heritage precincts and six precinct extensions in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis to the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
The amendment affects land at the following precincts and properties:
New heritage precincts
- Bradford Estate Precinct (HO798)
- Banool Estate Precinct (HO799)
- Burke Road Commercial Precinct (HO800)
- Clifton Estate Residential Precinct (HO801)
- Cotham Village Commercial Precinct (HO802)
- Goldthorns Hill and Environs Precinct (HO803)
- Iona Estate Residential Precinct (HO804)
- May Street Precinct (HO805)
- Thornton Estate Residential Precinct (HO806)
Individual heritage places
- 349 Barkers Road (part), Kew (HO807)
- 349 Barkers Road (part), Kew (HO808)
- 315 Barkers Road, Kew (HO809)
- 1139-1141 Burke Road, Kew (HO810)
- 301 Cotham Road (part), Kew (HO811)
- 230 Cotham Road, Kew (HO812)
- 264 Cotham Road, Kew (HO813)
- 370-376 Cotham Road (part), Kew (HO815)
- 4 Edgecombe Street, Kew (HO816)
- 59 Pakington Street, Kew (HO817)
- 20 Peel Street, Kew (HO818)
- 3 Perry Court, Kew (HO819)
- 25 Queen Street, Kew (HO820)
- 13 Raheen Drive, Kew (HO821)
- 6 Reeves Court, Kew (HO822)
- 35 to 37 Rowland Street, Kew (HO823)
- 28 Stevenson Street, Kew (HO824)
- 71 Stevenson Street, Kew (HO825)
- 96 Stevenson Street, Kew (HO826)
- 31 Studley Park Road, Kew (HO827)
Extensions to existing heritage precincts
- Barry Street Precinct (HO143)
- Barrington Avenue Precinct (HO142)
- Sackville Street Precinct (HO162)
- Glenferrie Road Precinct (HO150)
- Kew Junction Commercial Heritage Precinct (HO520)
- High Street South Residential Precinct (HO527)
For more information contact Lucy Johnson, Strategic Planner:
- Phone: 9278 4485
- Email: [email protected]
Kew Heritage Gap Study (revised) [PDF, 45MB]
Heritage Overlay Fact Sheet [PDF, 403KB]
Amendment C294 - Explanatory Report [PDF, 184KB]
Amendment C294 - Notice of Preparation of Amendment [PDF, 123KB]
Amendment C294 - Instruction Sheet [PDF, 118KB]
Amendment C294 - Exhibition Map HO 6, 7 & 8 [PDF, 623KB]