Amendment C284 proposes to implement the recommendations of the Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study to include 14 individual heritage places, seven heritage precincts and four precinct extension in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis to the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
Important notice (March 2020)
As part of Council’s response to the current COVID-19 situation, Council is currently unable to schedule a report for consideration of Amendment C284boro - Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study at a meeting of the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) to progress the amendment.
All submitters to the amendment as well as any affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers will have the opportunity to address the UPSC in support of their submission and any Council officer recommendations. These people will receive a written invitation 10 days prior to the meeting advising of the opportunity to attend when Council is in a position to resume UPSC meetings again.
At a future meeting the UPSC will decide whether to:
- Adopt the amendment as recommended by the Panel and/or officers.
- Refer Amendment C284 to an Ordinary Council Meeting with a recommendation to adopt the amendment (with or without further changes); or
- Refer Amendment C284 to an Ordinary Council Meeting with a recommendation to abandon the amendment.
You can download a copy of the Panel Report - Amendment C284 [PDF, 4.3MB]
About Amendment C284
The amendment affects land at the following precincts and properties.
|Ardene Court Flats||11 Ardene Court, Hawthorn|
|Norwood Terrace||209-217 Auburn Road, Hawthorn|
|Grant Dorman (former Lion Rubber Works)||544 Burwood Road, Hawthorn|
|Dickie House||6 Fairview Street, Hawthorn|
|Melbourne Croquet Club (Former Glenferrie Hill Recreation Club)||37-41 Glen Street, Hawthorn|
|St Joseph's Catholic School (formerly St John's School)||571 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Edwardian Shops||556-558 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Victorian shops||817-821 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Woodford||14 Glenroy Road, Hawthorn|
|Dalsworth||36 Kooyongkoot Road, Hawthorn|
|Farey Brothers' Bakery (former)||20-26 Liddiard Street, Hawthorn|
|Yarralands Flats||150 Power Street, Hawthorn|
|Shrine of St Anthony church complex||180-184 Power Street, Hawthorn|
|Eira||13-15 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn|
|Cranmore Estate and Environs Precinct||
238-272 & 302-340 Barkers Road, 2-32 & 1-15 Elphin Grove, 3-65 & 71-95, 60-82 & 96-104 Liddiard Street, Churchill Grove, Salisbury Grove, Sercombe Grove, York Street, Bowen Street, 2-6 Vicars Street, Carrington Street, Percy Street, Moir Street, Haines Street, Bell Street, Edward Street, Hull Street, and 7-33 & 4-38 Johnson Street, Hawthorn
|Glenferrie and Riversdale Roads Commercial Precinct||86 & 87-105 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn; and 524-544 & 529-549 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Riversdale Reserve Precinct||8-30 & 19-23 Robinson Road, Hawthorn and 2-28 & 7-21 Illawarra Road, Hawthorn|
|Riversdale Village Precinct||261-305, 282-290 & 324-332 Auburn Road, Hawthorn and 201-233 & 234-242 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn|
|Rookery Estate Precinct||2-16 & 1-7 Austin Street, Hawthorn; 24-40 & 65-73 Evansdale Road, Hawthorn; 2-12 & 1-11 Majore Street, Hawthorn; and 1-21 & 14-18 Yarra Grove, Hawthorn|
|Victory Estate Precinct||132-142 Power Street, Hawthorn and 1-7 & 2-8 Gibney Street, Hawthorn|
|Violet Grove and Environs Precinct||3-19, 2-20 Manchester Street, Hawthorn; Violet Grove, Hawthorn; Marian Street, Hawthorn and 137-151 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn|
|Central Gardens Precinct (HO146) extension||2-30 & 1A-15 Malmsbury Street, Hawthorn|
|Glenferrie Hill Precinct (HO149) extension||1-3 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn|
|Leslie Street Precinct (HO164) extensions (2 areas)||198-218 Auburn Road, Hawthorn (Area 1); 1-17 & 6-12 Edlington Street & 168-178 Auburn Road, Hawthorn (Area 2)|
West Hawthorn Precinct (HO220) extension
|5-47 & 4-40 Lennox Street, Hawthorn and 48 Denham Street, Hawthorn|
Please also note that under delegation from the Minister for Planning, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) gazetted Amendment C285 on 9 May 2019. The amendment applied interim Heritage Overlays to all places recommended in the Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study. The interim controls have been extended (by Amendment C328boro) and now expire on 31 March 2021.
As the interim Heritage Overlays have been introduced, any proposals for demolition and other buildings and works may require a planning permit.
For more information contact the Strategic Planning Department:
- Email: [email protected]
(Please note the Strategic Planning Department are not currently available by phone)
- Panel Report - Amendment C284 [PDF, 4.3MB]
- Council's Part A submission (including Attachment 1) [PDF, 368KB]
- Attachment 2 to Council's Part A submission [PDF, 4.4MB]
- Amendment C284 - Statement of Evidence by Natica Schmeder - Context [PDF, 7.9MB]
- Amendment C284 - Statement of Evidence by Christina Dyson - Context [PDF, 1.4MB]
- Amendment C284 - Statement of Evidence by Mark Stephenson - Trethowan [PDF, 2.1MB]
- Arboricultural Assessment and Report - 13-15 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn - Treelogic [PDF, 7.9MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 13-15 Wellesley Road Hawthorn - Robyn Riddett of Anthemion Consultancies [PDF, 1.9MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 1 Wellesley Road Hawthorn - John Briggs [PDF, 11.5MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 36 Kooyongkoot Road Hawthorn - Lovell Chen [PDF, 7.8MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 6 Fairview Street Hawthorn - John Briggs [PDF, 18MB]
- Heritage Overlay Fact Sheet [PDF, 403 KB]
- Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study - revised 17 June 2019 [PDF, 13.1 MB]