Amendment C284 proposes to implement the recommendations of the Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study to include 14 individual heritage places, seven heritage precincts and four precinct extension in the Heritage Overlay on a permanent basis to the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
The amendment affects land at the following precincts and properties.
|Ardene Court Flats||11 Ardene Court, Hawthorn|
|Norwood Terrace||209-217 Auburn Road, Hawthorn|
|Grant Dorman (former Lion Rubber Works)||544 Burwood Road, Hawthorn|
|Dickie House||6 Fairview Street, Hawthorn|
|Melbourne Croquet Club (Former Glenferrie Hill Recreation Club)||37-41 Glen Street, Hawthorn|
|St Joseph's Catholic School (formerly St John's School)||571 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Edwardian Shops||556-558 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Victorian shops||817-821 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Woodford||14 Glenroy Road, Hawthorn|
|Dalsworth||36 Kooyongkoot Road, Hawthorn|
|Farey Brothers' Bakery (former)||20-26 Liddiard Street, Hawthorn|
|Yarralands Flats||150 Power Street, Hawthorn|
|Shrine of St Anthony church complex||180-184 Power Street, Hawthorn|
|Eira||13-15 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn|
|Cranmore Estate and Environs Precinct||
238-272 & 302-340 Barkers Road, 2-32 & 1-15 Elphin Grove, 3-65 & 71-95, 60-82 & 96-104 Liddiard Street, Churchill Grove, Salisbury Grove, Sercombe Grove, York Street, Bowen Street, 2-6 Vicars Street, Carrington Street, Percy Street, Moir Street, Haines Street, Bell Street, Edward Street, Hull Street, and 7-33 & 4-38 Johnson Street, Hawthorn
|Glenferrie and Riversdale Roads Commercial Precinct||86 & 87-105 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn; and 524-544 & 529-549 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn|
|Riversdale Reserve Precinct||8-30 & 19-23 Robinson Road, Hawthorn and 2-28 & 7-21 Illawarra Road, Hawthorn|
|Riversdale Village Precinct||261-305, 282-290 & 324-332 Auburn Road, Hawthorn and 201-233 & 234-242 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn|
|Rookery Estate Precinct||2-16 & 1-7 Austin Street, Hawthorn; 24-40 & 65-73 Evansdale Road, Hawthorn; 2-12 & 1-11 Majore Street, Hawthorn; and 1-21 & 14-18 Yarra Grove, Hawthorn|
|Victory Estate Precinct||132-142 Power Street, Hawthorn and 1-7 & 2-8 Gibney Street, Hawthorn|
|Violet Grove and Environs Precinct||3-19, 2-20 Manchester Street, Hawthorn; Violet Grove, Hawthorn; Marian Street, Hawthorn and 137-151 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn|
|Central Gardens Precinct (HO146) extension||2-30 & 1A-15 Malmsbury Street, Hawthorn|
|Glenferrie Hill Precinct (HO149) extension||1-3 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn|
|Leslie Street Precinct (HO164) extensions (2 areas)||198-218 Auburn Road, Hawthorn (Area 1); 1-17 & 6-12 Edlington Street & 168-178 Auburn Road, Hawthorn (Area 2)|
West Hawthorn Precinct (HO220) extension
|5-47 & 4-40 Lennox Street, Hawthorn and 48 Denham Street, Hawthorn|
Please also note that under delegation from the Minister for Planning, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) gazetted Amendment C285 on 9 May 2019. The amendment applies interim Heritage Overlays to all places recommended in the Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study. The interim controls expire on 31 March 2020.
As the interim Heritage Overlays have now been introduced, any proposals for demolition and other buildings and works may require a planning permit.
Current status (October 2019)
On 3 October 2019 Council received the report from the independent Panel on Amendment C284 and submissions referred to it. You can access a copy of the Panel report from the download section below.
Council officers are currently reviewing the Panel report and will prepare a report for consideration by the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC). The report is likely to be considered by the UPSC in February 2020.
The UPSC will decide whether to:
- Adopt the changes recommended by the independent Panel and/or Council officers.
- Refer Amendment C284 to an Ordinary Council Meeting with a recommendation to adopt the amendment (with or without further changes); or
- Refer Amendment C284 to an Ordinary Council Meeting with a recommendation to abandon the amendment.
All submitters to the amendment as well as any affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers will have the opportunity to address the UPSC in support of their submission and any Council officer recommendations.
- Panel Report - Amendment C284 [PDF, 4.3MB]
- Council's Part A submission (including Attachment 1) [PDF, 368KB]
- Attachment 2 to Council's Part A submission [PDF, 4.4MB]
- Amendment C284 - Statement of Evidence by Natica Schmeder - Context [PDF, 7.9MB]
- Amendment C284 - Statement of Evidence by Christina Dyson - Context [PDF, 1.4MB]
- Amendment C284 - Statement of Evidence by Mark Stephenson - Trethowan [PDF, 2.1MB]
- Arboricultural Assessment and Report - 13-15 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn - Treelogic [PDF, 7.9MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 13-15 Wellesley Road Hawthorn - Robyn Riddett of Anthemion Consultancies [PDF, 1.9MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 1 Wellesley Road Hawthorn - John Briggs [PDF, 11.5MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 36 Kooyongkoot Road Hawthorn - Lovell Chen [PDF, 7.8MB]
- Expert Witness Report - 6 Fairview Street Hawthorn - John Briggs [PDF, 18MB]
- Heritage Overlay Fact Sheet [PDF, 403 KB]
- Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study - revised 17 June 2019 [PDF, 13.1 MB]