Amendment C274 proposes to implement the recommendations of the Camberwell Heritage Gap Assessment. The amendment originally proposed to include 21 individual heritage places, 11 heritage precincts and 2 precinct extensions in the Heritage Overlay.
Following public exhibition of the amendment in November - December 2017, the amendment was split into two parts. Amendment C274 Part 1 relates to the Sunnyside and Rowell Avenues precinct. Amendment C274 Part 2 relates to all other properties recommended for inclusion in the Heritage Overlay in the study.
Amendment C274 (Part 2) proposes to implement the recommendations of the Camberwell Heritage Gap Assessment. The amendment now proposes to include 23 individual heritage places, 10 heritage precincts and 2 precinct extensions in the Heritage Overlay.
About Amendment C274 (Part 1)
Amendment C274 (Part 1) has been resolved following the gazettal of Amendment C291 - deletion of interim Heritage Overlay 740 (HO740) from all properties in the previously proposed Sunnyside and Rowell Avenues Precinct (except 30 and 32 Sunnyside Avenue).
Following public exhibition of Amendment C274 and a review of submissions and the extent of demolition and alterations to properties within the proposed Sunnyside and Rowell Avenues precinct, it was determined that the introduction of heritage controls to Sunnyside Avenue and Rowell Avenue could no longer be justified. This does not include 30 and 32 Sunnyside Avenue, which continue to be identified as individually significant heritage places.
At its meeting of 3 April 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) resolved to split Amendment C274 into two parts. Part 1 of the amendment, which applies to the Sunnyside and Rowell Avenues precinct was referred the Ordinary Meeting of Council on 28 May 2018, where Council resolved to abandon the introduction of the Heritage Overlay to the precinct.
Heritage controls for 30 and 32 Sunnyside Avenue, Camberwell will continue to be progressed through Amendment C274 (Part 2).
About Amendment C274 (Part 2)
Council is proposing changes to planning controls affecting land at:
- 486 Burke Road, Camberwell
- 544 Burke Road, Camberwell
- 832-834 Burke Road, Camberwell
- 575 Camberwell Road, Camberwell
- 25 Cookson Street, Camberwell
- 16 Cornell Street, Camberwell
- Fordham Avenue (Hartwell Railway Station), Camberwell
- 112-128 Fordham Avenue, Camberwell
- 27-29 George Street, Camberwell
- 137-139 Highfield Road, Camberwell
- 30 Hunter Road, Camberwell
- 4 Merton Street, Camberwell
- 100A Prospect Hill Road, Camberwell
- 576 Riversdale Road, Camberwell
- 815 Riversdale Road, Camberwell
- 906-912 Toorak Road, Camberwell
- 927 Toorak Road, Camberwell
- 930 Toorak Road, Camberwell
- 1245 Toorak Road, Camberwell
- 2R Wandin Road (Riversdale Railway Station and Signal Box), Camberwell
- 134 Wattle Valley Road, Camberwell
- 30 and 32 Sunnyside Avenue, Camberwell
- Bellett Street Precinct
- Camberwell Links Estate Precinct
- Camberwell Road Estate Precinct
- Hampton Grove Precinct
- Harley Estate & Environs Precinct
- Lockhart Street Precinct
- Milverton Street Precinct
- South Camberwell Precinct
- St John’s Wood & Sage’s Paddock Precinct
- War Service Homes Precinct
- HO144 Burke Road Extension
- HO191 Hassett’s Estate & Environs Precinct Extension
Amendment C274 proposes to include the above properties in the Heritage Overlay in the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
Current status (March 2019)
Interim heritage controls for Camberwell extended
The Minister for Planning has approved an extension to the interim heritage controls which currently apply to properties initially recommended for heritage protection through Amendment C274 (Part 2).
The interim controls, which first came into effect on 8 February 2018, are now due to expire on 28 February 2020, or when the Minister approves Amendment C274 (Part 2) in its final form.
Council has requested that the Minister remove the interim heritage controls which have been extended to properties now proposed not be protected through the Heritage Overlay, as part of his approval of Amendment C274 (Part 2).
Council will write to affected property owners and occupiers once the Minister has approved Amendment C274 (Part 2) and removed the interim heritage controls.
Consideration of Panel report
On 4 February 2019, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) considered the independent Panel’s report and resolved to:
- Receive and acknowledge the Panel’s report and recommendations, as shown at Attachment 1, in accordance with Section 27(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Endorse the officers’ response to the Panel’s recommendations and recommended changes to Amendment C274 (Part 2) to the Boroondara Planning Scheme, as shown at Attachments 2 and 3.
- Adopt the revised Camberwell Heritage Gap Study as shown at Attachment 4.
- Endorse the revised Heritage Overlay Schedule (Clause 43.01) and Heritage Policy Statements of Significance Reference Document as shown in Attachments 5 and 6 respectively.
- Refer the updated Amendment C274 (Part 2) to an Ordinary Meeting of Council to be adopted in accordance with Section 29(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Authorise the Director City Planning to undertake administrative changes to the amendment and associated planning controls that do not change the intent of the controls.
You can access a copy of the UPSC report.
Amendment C274 (Part 2) will now be considered at an Ordinary Meeting of Council on Monday 25 February 2019. You can access a copy of the Council report.
Council will decide whether to accept the UPSC’s recommendation to adopt Amendment C274 (Part 2) with or without any changes or abandon Amendment C274 (Part 2).
All submitters to the amendment as well as any affected and adjoining property owners and occupiers will receive a written invitation to the Council meeting.
Council's 'Part A' Submission
As per the Directions of the Independent Planning Panel, dated 25 June 2018, a copy of Council's Part A submission is provided here:
Amendment C274 Part 2 - Part A Submission [PDF, 132 KB]
Amendment C274 Part 2 - Part A Submission - Attachment 2 [PDF, 591 KB]
Amendment C274 Part 2 - Part A Submission - Attachment 4 [PDF, 30.5 MB]
Council's Expert Witness Reports
As per the Directions of the Independent Planning Panel, dated 25 June 2018, a copy of Council's Expert Witness Reports are provided here:
Expert evidence statement - Context PDF, 6.2 MB]
Expert evidence statement - Trethowan Architecture [PDF, 1.5 MB]
Expert Witness Reports from other Parties
As per the Directions of the independent Planning Panel, dated 25 June 2018, Council must upload all expert witness reports to its website. These reports are provided here:
For more information contact the Strategic Planning Department:
- phone: 9278 4815
- email: [email protected]
Download the Camberwell Heritage Gap Study
Panel Report - Amendment C274 Part 2 [PDF, 1.8 MB]
Planning Panel’s Directions and Hearing Timetable [PDF, 468 KB]
Amendment C274 - Explanatory Report [WORD, 42 KB]
Amendment C274 - Notice of Preparation of Amendment [WORD, 28 KB]
Amendment C274 - Instruction sheet [WORD, 27 KB]
Amendment C274 - Clause 22.03 Heritage Policy [WORD, 2.3 MB]
Amendment C274 - Schedule to Clause 43.01 Heritage Overlay [WORD, 2.6 MB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Maps HO 12, 13 & 15 [PDF, 470 KB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Map HO 13 [PDF, 416 KB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Map HO 13 (2) [PDF, 565 KB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Maps HO 13 & 16 [PDF, 662 KB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Maps HO 13, 14 & 17 [PDF, 498 KB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Map HO 16 [PDF, 460 KB]
Amendment C274 - Exhibition Map HO 17 [PDF, 332 KB]