Council has engaged Context Pty Ltd to review the heritage significance of all buildings within the Methodist Ladies' College (MLC) campus at 207 Barkers Road, Kew.
The review was undertaken following the identification of a number of mapping anomalies in relation to the existing Heritage Overlays onsite. The review has identified the following heritage elements:
Significant buildings and elements, including views to their principal elevations:
- Tiddeman Boarding House/The Residence of 1881-85
- Fountain of 1885
- ‘Wentworth’ (Art House) of 1889 and fence (built as a private residence)
- Red House, Federation Queen Anne House (formerly 231 Barkers Road) of 1901 (built as a private residence)
- Fitchett Hall of 1917
- Krome Memorial Gates & Fence of 1923
- Nicholas House (Language Centre) of 1926
- Boarding House Wings & Boarders’ Dining Room of 1938-39
- Nurses’ Memorial Assembly Hall of 1957
- Fitchett Chapel of 1959
- R.A.W. Woodgate Resource Centre of 1974.
Contributory building and elements, including views to their principal elevations:
- Nicholas Wing (Nicholas Building) of 1939
- Path layout from the corner entrance to the east wing of Tiddeman Boarding House/The Residence
- Two mature Elms at entrance of the school, Algerian Oak (boundary of Barkers Road) and English Oak (boundary of Glenferrie Road) and Atlantic Cedar in front gardens, all of the nineteenth century
- Fence and gates of ‘Crom’ at Centenary Building, northern section (of c1890-91) only.
Current status (February 2019)
On 20 August 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) adopted the Methodist Ladies’ College Heritage Citation and resolved to commence the formal planning scheme amendment process to introduce the proposed Heritage Overlay.
Access a copy of the UPSC report.
Council has commenced the implementation of the MLC heritage citation through Amendment C305boro. For further information please refer to the Amendment C305boro webpage.