The ‘City of Boroondara Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 4 Kew’ presents the findings and recommendations from the heritage assessment of Kew and includes citations for the nominated individual heritage properties and precincts.
Current status (April 2018)
Adoption of Kew Heritage Gap Study
On 16 April 2018, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) adopted the revised Kew Heritage Gap Study following preliminary consultation, and resolved to:
- Commence the formal planning scheme amendment process to apply the recommended Heritage Overlays on a permanent basis.
- Request the Minister for Planning to introduce the Heritage Overlays on an interim basis while the permanent Heritage Overlays are being implemented.
Access a copy of the UPSC report.
Council has written to the Minister for Planning to request interim Heritage Overlay (Amendment C293) be introduced and requested authorisation to prepare and exhibit Amendment C294 (permanent Heritage Overlays). Following authorisation from the Minister for Planning, Council will commence the exhibition process.
As part of the public exhibition process of Amendment C294 (permanent Heritage Overlays), Council will notify all affected/adjoining property owners and occupiers, anyone who lodged feedback as part of the preliminary consultation, and other interested stakeholders of the proposed Heritage Overlay.
About the Kew Heritage Gap Study
Council has engaged Context Pty Ltd to prepare the Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study. The suburb assessment of Kew has been completed. The study area consists of all properties located outside the existing Heritage Overlay in Kew.
As adopted on 16 April 2018, the draft study has identified the following properties and precincts to be of local heritage significance:
- Banool Estate Precinct
- Bradford Estate Precinct
- Burke Road Commercial Precinct
- Clifton Estate Precinct
- Cotham Village Commercial Precinct
- Goldthorns Hill & Environs Precinct
- Iona Estate Residential Precinct
- May Street Precinct
- Thornton Estate Residential Precinct
Heritage Precinct Extensions
- HO142 Barrington Avenue Precinct extension: 2-6 Barrington Avenue; 135-187 Cotham Road; 2A Hillcrest Avenue; and 2 Kent Street, Kew
- HO143 Barry Street Precinct extension: 31-57 Princess Street and 19-23 Wills Street, Kew
- HO150 Glenferrie Road Precinct extension: 4 Belmont Avenue, 154-182 Cotham Road, 1-5 Franks Grove, and 3-19 & 2-14 Rossfield Avenue, Kew and 5-19 & 2-28 Stansell Street, Kew.
- HO162 Sackville Street Precinct extension: 1185-1189 Burke Road; 3 & 6-14 Grange Road; and 16 Rowland Street, Kew
- HO520 Kew Junction Commercial Precinct extension: 137-139 High Street, Kew
- HO527 High Street South Residential Precinct extension: 1-3 and 4 Bowen Street, Kew
- ‘Urangeline’ (former Edzell, Mildura) at 349 Barkers Road, Kew
- William Carey Chapel at 349 Barkers Road, Kew
- 315 Barkers Road, Kew
- 1139-1141 Burke Road, Kew
- 301 Cotham Road (part), Kew
- 230 Cotham Road, Kew
- 264 Cotham Road, Kew
- 283 Cotham Road (part), Kew
- 370-376 Cotham Road (part), Kew
- 4 Edgecombe Street, Kew
- 59 Pakington Street, Kew
- 20 Peel Street, Kew
- 3 Perry Court, Kew
- 25 Queen Street, Kew
- 13 Raheen Drive, Kew
- 6 Reeves Court, Kew
- 35-37 Rowland Street, Kew
- 28 Stevenson Street, Kew
- 71 Stevenson Street, Kew
- 96 Stevenson Street, Kew
- 31 Studley Park Road, Kew
These places are recommended for inclusion in the Heritage Overlay in the Boroondara Planning Scheme.