The City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 3 Hawthorn presents the findings and recommendations from the heritage assessment of Hawthorn and includes citations for the nominated individual heritage properties and precincts.
Current status (November 2017)
The preliminary consultation period closed on 3 November 2017.
Council officers are now reviewing the feedback received and will prepare a report on the outcomes of the preliminary consultation for consideration by the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) in early 2018. The UPSC will consider the feedback and decide whether to commence the planning scheme amendment process to include identified properties in the Heritage Overlay of the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
All affected property owners and occupiers and anyone who provides Council with feedback will be notified of this meeting and invited to speak, if desired. Should the UPSC resolve to commence the formal planning scheme amendment process, further public consultation will be undertaken as part of that process.
Please note that the draft citations have not been adopted by Council and do not carry any statutory weight. However, Council may use the draft study recommendations to inform its discussions with planning permit applicants in relation to properties identified for heritage protection.
In order for the heritage citations to have statutory weight, affected properties need to be included in the Heritage Overlay under the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
About the Hawthorn Heritage Gap Study
Council has engaged Context Pty Ltd to prepare the Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study. The suburb assessment of Hawthorn has been completed. The study area consists of all properties located outside the existing Heritage Overlay in Hawthorn.
The draft study has identified the following properties and precincts to be of local heritage significance:
- Cranmore Estate and Environs Precinct
- Glenferrie and Riversdale Roads Commercial Precinct
- Riversdale Reserve Precinct
- Riversdale Village Precinct
- Rookery Estate Precinct
- Victory Estate Precinct
- Violet Grove and Environs Precinct
Heritage Precinct Extensions
- HO146 Central Gardens Precinct Extension: 2-30 & 1A-15 Malmsbury Street
- HO149 Glenferrie Hill Precinct Extension: 1-3 Wellesley Road
- HO164 Leslie Street Precinct Extensions: 198-218 Auburn Road (Area 1); 1-17 & 6-12 Edlington Street & 168-178 Auburn Road (Area 2)
- HO220 West Hawthorn Precinct Extension: 5-47 & 4-40 Lennox Street
- 11 Ardene Court, Hawthorn
- 209-217 Auburn Road, Hawthorn
- 15 Burton Avenue, Hawthorn
- 544 Burwood Road, Hawthorn
- 6 Fairview Street, Hawthorn
- 37-41 Glen Street, Hawthorn
- 571 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn
- 556-558 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn
- 817-821 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn
- 14 Glenroy Road, Hawthorn
- 36 Kooyongkoot Road, Hawthorn
- 20-26 Liddiard Street, Hawthorn
- 20-26 Manningtree Road, Hawthorn
- 150 Power Street, Hawthorn
- 180-184 Power Street, Hawthorn
- 13-15 Wellesley Road, Hawthorn
These places are recommended for inclusion in the Heritage Overlay in the Boroondara Planning Scheme.