The ‘City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 6 Hawthorn East’ presents the findings and recommendations from the heritage assessment of Hawthorn East and includes citations for the nominated individual heritage properties and precincts.
About the Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study
Council has engaged Context to prepare the Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study . The sixth study to be prepared is for the suburb of Hawthorn East. The study area consists of all properties located outside the existing Heritage Overlay in Hawthorn East.
The draft study has now been completed and has identified the following properties and precincts to be of local heritage significance:
- 406 Barkers Road, Hawthorn East
- 452 Barkers Road, Hawthorn East
- 16 Beaconsfield Road, Hawthorn East
- 64 Campbell Road, Hawthorn East
- 43 Clive Road, Hawthorn East
- 20 Denmark Hill Road, Hawthorn East
- 41 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East
- 40 Havelock Road, Hawthorn East
- 5 & 7 Higham Road, Hawthorn East
- 29 Leura Grove, Hawthorn East
- 100 Pleasant Road, Hawthorn East
- 336 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East
- 254-258 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East
- 475-477 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East
- Tram Shelter between 439a and 441 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East
- 417-419 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East
- 500-512 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East
- 8 Tower Place, Hawthorn East
- 9 Widford Street, Hawthorn East
- Brickfields Environs Precinct
- Burwood Road Estate Precinct
- Smith’s Paddock Precinct
- Longford Estate and Environs Precinct
- Essington Estate and Environs Precinct
- Stonyhurst and Athol Estates Precinct
- Havelock Road, Denmark Hill Road and Linton Court Precinct
- Victoria Road Precinct
Heritage precinct extensions
- HO144 Burke Road Precinct - 94-98 Campbell Road, Hawthorn East
- HO161 Ryeburne Avenue Precinct - 88-100 and 116-130 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East
These places are recommended for inclusion in the Heritage Overlay under the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
Current status (July 2018)
We are seeking feedback on the draft ‘City of Boroondara Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 6 Hawthorn East’ before deciding whether to commence the formal planning scheme amendment process to apply the Heritage Overlay to the properties identified in the draft study.
Any feedback on the draft study must be made in writing by Monday 13 August 2018.
You can lodge your feedback the following ways:
- Using the online form
- Mail: Hawthorn East Heritage Gap Study, Boroondara City Council, Strategic Planning Department, Private Bag 1, CAMBERWELL VIC 3124
Council officers will review the feedback received and prepare a report for consideration by the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC). The UPSC will decide whether to
- Adopt the ‘City of Boroondara Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 6 Hawthorn East’.
- Commence the formal planning scheme amendment process to apply the Heritage Overlay to all or some of the properties identified in the draft study.
- Defer consideration of the draft ‘City of Boroondara Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 6 Hawthorn East’ until further work is undertaken.
- Abandon the ‘City of Boroondara Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 6 Hawthorn East’ and not proceed to a planning scheme amendment.
The report is likely to be considered by the UPSC later in 2018.
Affected and adjoining property owners/occupiers and anyone who provided Council with feedback as part of the preliminary consultation process will have the opportunity to address the UPSC in support of their feedback.
Please note that the draft citations have not been adopted by Council and do not carry any statutory weight. However, Council may use the draft study recommendations to inform its discussions with planning permit applicants in relation to properties identified for heritage protection.
In order for the heritage citations to have statutory weight, affected properties need to be included in the Heritage Overlay under the Boroondara Planning Scheme.
For more information contact Alexander Antoniadis, Strategic Planner:
• phone: 9278 4987
• email: [email protected]
Personal information collected by Council in submissions requested above is collected for the purpose of considering whether to carry out a Planning Scheme Amendment in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Act). Any personal information provided with submissions will be used by Council for that primary purpose or directly related purposes. The information may also be used to update Council’s customer databases to assist Council in discharging its functions or providing services. Submissions received, including any personal information, will be disclosed in full to Council's consultants (if applicable) who will make recommendations to Council regarding the feedback provided. Council may also publish submissions on its website, provide copies of submissions to interested parties on request, and make publicly available lists of responses during this period. The full text of submissions may be disclosed in a report to Council which will by virtue of the Local Government Act 1989 be available to the public in the agenda papers for an extended period, including on Council’s website. Submissions will not otherwise be disclosed unless required or permitted by law. Requests for access to and/or amendment of personal information should be made to Council’s Privacy Officer.
You may choose to respond anonymously, however Council will then be unable to contact you regarding the project.