The ‘City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 1 Canterbury’ presents the findings and recommendations from the heritage assessment of Canterbury and includes citations for the nominated individual heritage properties and precincts.
Council sought feedback on the draft City of Boroondara Municipal-Wide Heritage Gap Study: Volume 1 Canterbury from 27 February to 27 March 2017.
Current status (November 2017)
Adoption of Canterbury Heritage Gap Assessment
On 3 July 2017, the Urban Planning Special Committee (UPSC) adopted the Canterbury Heritage Gap Assessment and resolved to commence the formal planning scheme amendment process to introduce the Canterbury Heritage Gap Assessment into the Boroondara Planning Scheme. Access a copy of the UPSC report.
To ensure the Canterbury Heritage Gap Assessment is considered as part of the planning permit process, Council will implement the recommendations of the adopted study through Amendment C266.
About the Canterbury Heritage Gap Assessment
Council has engaged Context Pty Ltd to prepare the Municipal Wide Heritage Gap Study. The first study to be prepared is for the suburb of Canterbury. The study area consists of all properties located outside the existing Heritage Overlay in Canterbury.
The draft study has now been completed and has identified the following properties and precincts to be of local heritage significance:
- 6 Alexandra Avenue, Canterbury
- 902A Burke Road, Canterbury
- 61 Canterbury Road, Canterbury
- 146 Canterbury Road, Canterbury
- 351-359 Canterbury Road, Canterbury
- 190A Canterbury Road, 26A Myrtle Road, Canterbury & 6 Harp Road, Kew
- 35 Chatham Road, Canterbury
- 13 Mangarra Road, Canterbury
- 16 Mangarra Road, Canterbury
- 23 Mangarra Road, Canterbury
- 49 Mangarra Road, Canterbury
- 35 Matlock Street, Canterbury
- 67 Mont Albert Road, Canterbury
- 106 Mont Albert Road, Canterbury
- 25 Shierlaw Avenue & 1A Faversham Road, Canterbury
- 2 Snowden Place, Canterbury
- 10 The Ridge, Canterbury
- 14 The Ridge, Canterbury
- 15 View Street, Canterbury
- 2B Warburton Road, Canterbury
- 37 Wentworth Avenue, Canterbury
- 2 Woodstock Street (and stables at 33A Parlington Street), Canterbury
- Canterbury Road Commercial Precinct
- Griffin Estate & Environs Residential Precinct
- Matlock Street Residential Precinct
- Parlington Estate Residential Precinct
- Rochester Road Residential Precinct
- Victoria Avenue Residential Precinct
- Precinct extension - 1A Balwyn Road (extension of HO264 - Balwyn Road Residential Precinct to cover 2 Boronia Street).
These places are recommended for inclusion in the Heritage Overlay under the Boroondara Planning Scheme.