If you and your neighbours want to have a party in your street, you need to apply for a Residential Street Party Permit to close the road.

Before you apply

It's important for you to read our Street party policy and our Street party conditions. It's also important to understand that:

  • You need to contact us to check your proposed date at least 6 weeks before your event. 
  • You need support from 75% of your street's residents to apply for the permit. We will work out the total number of signatures you need to get to meet this requirement.
  • If 75% of your street's residents won't give their signature to support the party, we won't be able to give you a permit. 
  • Your application needs to include the names, addresses and signatures of all residents in the section of the street to be closed who support the closure.
  • You need to submit your completed application and pay the fee at least 6 weeks before your event.

Step 1: Contact Council

Email our customer service team a[email protected] to confirm the date you want to have the party. We need at least 6 weeks' notice before the date you want to hold the event.

You must provide us with:

  • Your full name.
  • Your phone number.
  • Your address.
  • Your proposed event date.
  • Your proposed event start and end time. Street parties can't go longer than 6 hours and must finish at 9pm. 
  • The residential addresses for the start and end points of your proposed street party. For example, 1 Boroondara Street to 16 Boroondara Street. Road closures can't exceed more than 200 metres. 

If there are no issues with the proposed closure, we will reserve the date for you and email you our Street party permit application pack.

Note: The maximum number of street parties that can be held in Boroondara on any one day is 6. We assess applications in the order we receive them.

If your preferred date is not available, you may still be able to hold your street party, but you will need to provide your own traffic management through an accredited traffic management company. In this case, your chosen traffic management company will need to provide a traffic management plan that must be included with your application. 

Step 2: Submit your application

Complete the Application Form and the Signatories List from the Street party permit application pack. Then you need to:

This payment includes a non-refundable administration fee of $30 and a $70 fee to install and remove signs and barriers.

If you are providing your own traffic management, you only need to pay the $30 administration fee.

Your must submit your completed application at least 6 weeks before your party.

Step 3: We assess your application

If your application is approved, we'll contact you for confirmation. We'll also notify the emergency services and Council's insurer of the required road closure.

If we don't approve your permit, we'll refund you the $70 road signage and barrier installation and removal fee.

Step 4: Notify the street

You must notify the residents of the street at least 2 weeks before your event.

Our Street party permit application pack has an example letter you can use to notify other residents.

On the day of your event

Council officers will install the right road closure signs and barricades no earlier than 30 minutes before the start of your party. These will then be removed no later than 30 minutes after the event ends. 

If you've arranged your own traffic management for the event, you will need to ensure that the same conditions apply (with signage and barriers installed and then removed within 30 minutes of the party start and end time).

Important: No time extensions will be granted on the day of your street party.

Contact us

For more information call our Customer service team on (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected].

Was this page helpful? *