The following gardens with their beautiful plantings, established trees and other amenities, such as rotundas in both Alexandra and Canterbury Gardens, provide an ideal setting for a wedding ceremony.
Weekends are particularly popular for wedding parties, events and photographic sessions of all kinds.
Bookings are essential – email Parks and gardens or phone (03) 9278 4595.
These are magnificent Federation-style gardens located on Cotham Road, Kew. Created in 1905 and named after Queen Alexandra, the park covers 1.5 hectares. Alexandra Gardens is designed in a formal style, typical of the early 1900s and features large specimen trees, sweeping lawns, garden beds and herbaceous borders, with a delightful ornamental pond and rotunda.
The rotunda is popular for wedding ceremonies, christenings and other function. It was built in 1910, refurbished in 1988 and again in 2000. Within walking distance of Kew Junction shopping centre and transport links, this garden also features a playground and barbecue area, making it an ideal choice for all occasions.
Canterbury Gardens, located at 190B Canterbury Road, Canterbury, are an example of the Gardenesque style of gardens from the early 1900s.
Today, a selection of established trees from this time survives but few of the original smaller plants still exist. The park features rolling lawns, specimen trees and superb, colourful displays of perennial borders and annual beds.
The gardens are situated on an area of former market gardens and farms. In the 1850s W Creek, or West Creek as it became known, traversed the property and passed under a long culvert at the lowest point of Canterbury Road. This has since been sent
underground leaving the valley dry.
The land was fenced in 1903 and named Canterbury Reserve after Viscount Canterbury the Governor of Victoria (1866–1873). Since the 1940s Carols by Candlelight has been held in the gardens, and it is a popular venue for local residents' celebrations – the setting is ideal for weddings – and recreation throughout the year.
These gardens, located at 32 Henry Street, Hawthorn, were originally designed in a formal period style, but the overall style of the gardens has been drastically altered over the past 100 years.
The gardens were officially opened on 14 November 1900 and by the 1920s were an outstanding example of a formal period garden, featuring many annual beds, water elements and formal garden beds.
In the 1930s the gardens began to decline, with many features such as pergolas and fountains removed, and garden and path edging replaced by bluestone and concrete curbing. At this time the gardens began to change in style to an open, informal garden. The gardens were reduced in size in the 1960s and 70s for the expansion of the nursery and to create a site for the council depot. With the closure of the depot and nursery in the late 1990s the gardens gained back its lost land.
Central Gardens is open at all times and, as the sole large park in the area, is a popular venue for residents, Community House visitors and a large student population.
These gardens are located in Camberwell Road, Camberwell, in the southern section of linear parkland extending from Frog Hollow Reserve. They feature a pond, barbeques, display gardens, a walking/cycling trail and a playground. The playground is suitable for toddlers and has a swing and slide for both toddler and primary school-aged children.
The open lawn areas and shading eucalyptus trees make Fordham Gardens a popular choice for social gatherings and recreational activities. Please note, because of the current drought, the ornamental pond has not been re-filled.
Maranoa Gardens, located at the end of Parring Road, Balwyn (adjacent to Beckett Park) has been influenced by many forces since its creation. These beautiful gardens were designed as a display of botanic gardens, exhibiting plants in a range of habitat styles, to demonstrate the flora of Melbourne and other regions.
Mr J Watson created the gardens in 1901 when he purchased 3.5 acres of land to develop a private garden, catering to his interest in Australian and New Zealand plants. An Australian garden was unusual then, when the main interest was in exotic plants and Victorian or Edwardian design.
Camberwell Council purchased the land in 1922 and the garden was officially opened to the public on 18 September 1926. The garden was expanded in 1962, taking approximately three acres of Beckett Park to construct a rockery. In 1987, the rockery was extended and replanted to provide an environment for plants considered difficult to grow in Melbourne.
Over the years, specialists have identified and named plants in the collection to acquaint visitors with the value of Australian vegetation. The garden plays a significant role as one of the major botanical displays of Australian plants in Victoria. It provides visual and written information on Australian plants in varying habitats for students, botanists and enthusiasts alike.
The garden is visited daily by locals, enjoying the meandering paths, and by students and botanical enthusiasts in search of knowledge.
The gardens are open:
Monday to Friday from 7.30am to 4pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 12 noon to 5pm; but closed on Good Friday and Christmas Day.
Read Gardens is situated on the corner of Broadway and Stanhope Grove, Camberwell, and so is centrally located and easily accessible by car and public transport.
It's a Victorian-style garden featuring extensive open space, a perennial garden border and a playground. The garden contains significant specimen trees, including oaks, elms and cedars. A commemorative drinking fountain in the centre of the garden was placed in recognition of Major Frederick Fitzwalter Read, a former Mayor of Camberwell, after whom the park is named. This traditional garden setting is an ideal location for weddings and other special functions.
These gardens are located in Surrey Hills, bordered by Union and Norfolk roads. The main feature is the Surrey Gardens World War I memorial, erected in 1917 and reputed to be one of the first in Australia. It received a full revamp of painting, lighting, re-guttering and landscaping in 2007, when specialists in wood and brass restoration were also brought in to clean and mend the historic honour roll. The rare, Art Noveau artwork, carved by one of Melbourne's pioneering wood carvers, Mr JK Blogg, was also refurbished to its former glory.
View our masterplans for improving Boroondara's parks, shopping precincts and other public spaces.