Increasing the number of students taking active travel to school will have a
range of benefits for your whole school community.
According to VicHealth, nearly a third of
all children in Victoria spend less than five minutes walking each day.
Getting to and from
school is a great way to incorporate extra physical activity into a child's day. Most primary
school children live close enough to their school to be able to easily walk or ride to
Some of the benefits of active travel are:
- reduced traffic congestion around the school
- improved safety for students by reducing traffic and making streets quieter
- better health and fitness for students
- increased travel choices for students and parents
- greater independence and improved social interaction for students
- a sense of connectedness with the school and local community.
Have a look at the active travel initiatives we offer for Boroondara schools.
You might also like to visit our sustainable schools and kinders webpage for information about services, resources and programs available to schools
to help them on their sustainability journey.