From our leafy parks and gardens to our colourful street art, there's plenty of beauty to be found in our City. This year's Boroondara Photograph Competition theme is Beauty in Boroondara and it's the perfect opportunity to celebrate our eye-catching past and present.
We will announce the winners at Slide Night Boroondara, 6.30pm, Thursday 23 May, Camberwell Library. Winners will be notified by phone and email Friday 24 May 2019 and must be able to collect their prize from Boroondara Libraries.
For more information or for help scanning a photo, please use our Ask a Librarian enquiry form.
Young Photographers’ Competition
Enter your best photograph on the theme Beauty in Boroondara taken from 2016 to today This category is divided into three age sections:
- Junior Photographers (Primary School)
- Middle Photographers (Years 7-9)
- Senior Photographers (Years 10-12 and young people not in secondary school, aged 15 to 18 years as of 1 January 2019)
We will award the following prizes in each age section:
- 1st prize - $60
- 2nd prize - $40
- 3rd prize - $20
Open Photograph Competition
This category is open to all ages. Enter your best photograph taken in one of these year ranges:
- Historical - Beauty in Boroondara photograph taken 1800s to 1954
- Historical - Beauty in Boroondara photograph taken 1955 to1984
- Historical - Beauty in Boroondara photograph taken 1985 to 2015
- Boroondara today - Beauty in Boroondara photograph taken 2016 to 2019
We will be awarding the following prizes in each year range:
- 1st prize - $60
- 2nd prize - $40
- 3rd prize - $20
Boroondara Photograph Competition terms and conditions
- Information on how to enter, conditions of entry and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions.
- Participation in this competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- The Promotion is a game of skill, and chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- The Promoter is City of Boroondara, 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell, Vic 3124.
- Entry open to residents of Australia.
- Entrants must qualify as amateur photographers. ‘Amateur’ is defined as not currently earning primary income as a photographer.
- Entry is not open to employees and immediate families of the Promoter, associated companies and agencies. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
- Any entry of an entrant under the age of 18 who enters the competition and who does not provide the required parental or guardian consent will be deemed invalid. These Terms and Conditions of entry will bind such parent or guardian.
- The competition opens Friday 1 March 2019, 9am AEST and closes Tuesday 30 April 2019, 11.59pm AEST.
How to enter
- To enter entrants must have a valid entry by:
- Completing the online entry form for your category; and
- Submitting a photograph depicting beauty in the City of Boroondara (which includes the former cities of Camberwell, Hawthorn and Kew) online via this competition page when the competition opens.
- There is no limit on the number of entries. Entrants may submit as many entries as desired in the categories for which they are eligible, including:
- Young Photographers’ Competition (open to young people who live, work or study in Boroondara)
- Open Photograph Competition (open to all ages).
- Photographs may be taken by the entrant or the entrant’s immediate family members. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
- Entrants cannot enter the same photograph in more than one category. Any entry with the same photograph found in another category will be deemed invalid.
- Photographs may have been taken at any time.
- Photographs may have been taken digitally or using film.
- Photographs may be submitted in either black and white, or colour.
- Photographs may be submitted in a range of digital formats. For example JPEG, TIFF.
- Photographs must be original and cannot be edited or altered.
- Files on DVD, CD or USB will not be accepted. Faxed or email entries will not be accepted.
- All entries are submitted to the judging panel anonymously and must therefore not be marked in any way with the entrant’s name or studio name. This includes watermark.
- Photographs that are considered by the Promoter, in its absolute discretion, to be of an offensive nature will be rejected.
- Any photographs that include adult themes may not be added to the Promoter’s catalogue.
- The winners will be announced at the City of Boroondara Slide Night Boroondara’ on Thursday 23 May 2019 at 7pm. The winners will be notified on Friday 24 May 2019 by email and telephone.
- The prize winners are awarded by the judging panel, based on relevance to the theme, artistic merit, technical merit, originality and creativity. The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are:
- Young Photographers’ Competition
- First prize in each age section: $60
- Second prize in each age section: $40
- Third prize in each age section: $20
- Open Photograph Competition
- First prize in each year range: $60
- Second prize in each year range: $40
- Third prize in each year range: $20
- Best in Competition overall prize: $180
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a category if they form the opinion that the entries submitted do not have sufficient merit to warrant the prize.
- The prize is provided by City of Boroondara and is not exchangeable or redeemable for cash or other prizes. Transport, parking and any other costs associated with redeeming the prize are at the winner’s expense.
- The prize can be collected at any City of Boroondara Library.
- The Promoter reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity; proof of residency and proof of entry validity (including proof of ownership of the photographs) in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- Entrants retain the copyright of any images submitted. However the Promoter reserves the right to retain, display in exhibitions, publish, catalogue, sell copies and publish thumbnails of all entries on the Promoter’s website.
- By entering the competition, entrants authorise and confirm that permission has been obtained from authorised persons (including but not limited to copyright, trademark owners and individuals depicted in any photographs or images) to publish entries on the Promoter’s website, or use the images in marketing both in print and electronically.
- By entering the competition, entrants indemnify the Promoter against all and any actions, claims or damages arising from unauthorised use of the photographs (including but not limited to infringement of copyrights) that may be taken against the Promoter by authorised persons.
- The winners agree to participate as required in promotional activities relating to the competition, including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed. The winners agree to grant the Promoter a perpetual and non-exclusive licence to use such footage and photographs in all media worldwide.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries including delays in submission due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any images lost or corrupted during the online submission. It is the entrant’s responsibility to maintain original copies of any images submitted.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at their discretion (a) adjudicate on eligibility of applicants; (b) to disqualify any entrant where the Promoter reasonably suspect any unlawful or improper conduct, such as infringing a third party’s intellectual property rights; or (c) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, as appropriate.
- There are no charges to enter the competition. Any cost associated with accessing the City of Boroondara website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used.