Want inspiration to get the family outdoors? Even in rainy weather? The Boroondara Wild initiative has created a passport for young, brave explorers to explore, unwind, create and discover.
The library has created a reading list to help support families to unplug and experience nature; here in their Boroondara backyard.
The list contains some classics like We’re going on a bear hunt by Michael Rosen (no bears in Boroondara but the hunt will be just as fun!) as well as Australian titles like A walk in the bush by Gwyn Perkins and Puddle hunters by Kirsty Murray. The illustrations in Rain fish by Lois Ehlert were created by collecting leaves and little bits of scrap materials on a walk after a rainy day. Try creating your own nature collage!
Picture books to promote nature play
- Unplugged by Steve Antony
- Puddles are for jumping by Kylie Dunstan
- Rain fish by Lois Ehlert
- Yucky worms by Vivian French
- Having a picnic by Sarah Garland
- All through the year by Jane Godwin
- Counting Aussie animals in my garden by Bronwyn Houston
- Welcome to country by Joy Murphy
- Puddle hunters by Kirsty Murray
- Perfect by Danny Parker
- A walk in the bush by Gwyn Perkins
- We’re going on a bear hunt by Michael Rosen
- Finding wild by Megan Wagner Lloyd
- Florette by Anna Walker
Books to inspire outdoor activities and craft
- Nature crafts for Aussie kids by Kate Hubmayer
- Kids in the garden: gardening, craft, cooking by Mary Moody
- Screen-free fun: 400 activities for the whole family by Shannon Philpott-Sanders
- The wild book: outdoor activities to unleash your inner child by David Scarfe
- Let’s go outside: sticks and stones, nature adventures, games and projects for kids by Steph Scott and Katie Akers
Books for parents
- Balanced and barefoot: how unrestricted outdoor play makes for strong, confident and capable children by Angela J. Hanscom
- Last child in the woods: saving our children from nature-deficit disorder by Richard Louv
Reserve a book on the list
To reserve a book, click on the title and use your membership number and PIN to place a reservation.
More recommended reading
To view booklists on a variety of subjects, visit Booklists from our librarians.