Enter the Boroondara Photograph Competition and you could be in the running to win some great prizes. This year's theme is Portraits of Boroondara.
- Read the Boroondara Photograph Competition terms and conditions.
- Make a digital scan of an older photo from an album or take a new photo.
The photo needs to show a person or people who have lived, worked or studied in Boroondara. The photograph must be taken within the City of Boroondara.
- Write a brief description for each photo. Include the year in which the photograph was taken.
- Upload the photos using the online entry form in your eligible category: Young Photographers’ Competition or Open Photograph Competition.
You can enter as many photos as you like and may enter more than one category.
Entry is free.
Entries open at 9AM, Thursday 16 January 2020.
Entries close at 11:59PM, Thursday 30 April 2020.
We will announce the winners at Boroondara Photograph Competition Awards Night at the Greythorn Community Hub at 7pm on Tuesday 19 May 2020.
Winners will be notified by phone and email by Friday 22 May 2020. Winners must be able to collect their prize from a Boroondara Library Service branch.
Young Photographers’ Competition
Enter your best photograph on the theme Portraits of Boroondara taken from 2017 to today. This category is divided into three age sections:
- Junior Photographers (Primary School)
- Middle Photographers (Years 7-9)
- Senior Photographers (Years 10-12 and young people not in secondary school, aged 15 to 17 years as of 1 January 2020)
We will award the following prizes in each age section:
- 1st prize - $60
- 2nd prize - $40
- 3rd prize - $20
Open Photograph Competition
This category is open to all ages. Enter your best photograph taken in one of these year ranges:
- Historical - Portraits of Boroondara photograph taken 1800s to 1954
- Historical - Portraits of Boroondara photograph taken 1955 to1984
- Historical - Portraits of Boroondara photograph taken 1985 to 2016
- Boroondara today - Portraits of Boroondara photograph taken 2017 to 2020
We will be awarding the following prizes in each year range:
- 1st prize - $60
- 2nd prize - $40
- 3rd prize - $20
The Boroondara Photograph Competition will include a category to highlight Women of Boroondara. This category is open to all ages. Enter your best photograph of a Boroondara woman you admire taken in any year.
- Women of Boroondara - Portraits of Boroondara
We will be awarding the following prize for this category:
- One prize - $100
Boroondara Photograph Competition (“Competition”)
Terms and conditions
- Information on how to enter, conditions of entry and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions.
- Participation in this competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- The Promotion is a game of skill, and chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- The Promoter is City of Boroondara, 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell, Vic 3124.
- Entry open to residents of Australia.
- Entrants must qualify as amateur photographers. ‘Amateur’ is defined as not currently earning primary income as a photographer.
- Entry is not open to employees and immediate families of the Promoter, associated companies and agencies. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
- Any entry of an entrant under the age of 18 who enters the competition and who does not provide the required parental or guardian consent will be deemed invalid. These Terms and Conditions of entry will bind such parent or guardian.
- The competition opens Thursday 16 January 2020, 9am AEST and closes Thursday 30 April 2020, 11.59pm AEST.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter entrants must have a valid entry by:
- Completing the entry form online at https://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/photo-competition; and
- Submitting a photograph depicting beauty in the City of Boroondara (which includes the former cities of Camberwell, Hawthorn and Kew) online via this competition page when the competition opens.
- There is no limit on the number of entries. Entrants may submit as many entries as desired in the categories for which they are eligible, including:
- Young Photographers’ Competition (open to young people who live, work or study in Boroondara)
- Open Photograph Competition (open to all ages)
- Photographs may be taken by the entrant or the entrant’s immediate family members. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
- Entrants cannot enter the same photograph in more than one category. Any entry with the same photograph found in another category will be deemed invalid.
- Photographs may have been taken at any time.
- Photographs may have been taken digitally or using film.
- Photographs may be submitted in either black and white, or colour.
- Photographs may be submitted in a range of digital formats. For example JPEG, TIFF.
- Photographs must be original and cannot be edited or altered.
- Files on DVD, CD or USB will not be accepted. Faxed or email entries will not be accepted.
- All entries are submitted to the judging panel anonymously and must therefore not be marked in any way with the entrant’s name or studio name. This includes watermark.
- Photographs that are considered by the Promoter, in its absolute discretion, to be of an offensive nature will be rejected.
- Any photographs that include adult themes may not be added to the Promoter’s catalogue.
- The winners will be announced at the Boroondara Photograph Competition Award Night , Greythorn Community Hub, 7pm, Tuesday 19 May 2020. The winners will be notified by Friday 22 May 2020 by email and telephone.
- The prize winners are awarded by the judging panel, based on relevance to the theme, artistic merit, technical merit, originality and creativity. The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are:
- Young Photographers’ Competition
- First prize in each age section: $60
- Second prize in each age section: $40
- Third prize in each age section: $20
- Open Photograph Competition
- First prize in each year range: $60
- Second prize in each year range: $40
- Third prize in each year range: $20
- Women of Boroondara: $100
- Best in Competition overall prize: $180
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a category if they form the opinion that the entries submitted do not have sufficient merit to warrant the prize.
- The prize is provided by City of Boroondara and is not exchangeable or redeemable for cash or other prizes. Transport, parking and any other costs associated with redeeming the prize are at the winner’s expense.
- The prize can be collected at any Boroondara Library Service branch.
- The Promoter reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity; proof of residency and proof of entry validity (including proof of ownership of the photographs) in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- Entrants retain the copyright of any images submitted. However the Promoter reserves the right to retain, display in exhibitions, publish, catalogue, sell copies and publish thumbnails of all entries on the Promoter’s website.
- By entering the competition, entrants authorise and confirm that permission has been obtained from authorised persons (including but not limited to copyright, trademark owners and individuals depicted in any photographs or images) to publish entries on the Promoter’s website, or use the images in marketing both in print and electronically.
- By entering the competition, entrants indemnify the Promoter against all and any actions, claims or damages arising from unauthorised use of the photographs (including but not limited to infringement of copyrights) that may be taken against the Promoter by authorised persons.
- The winners agree to participate as required in promotional activities relating to the competition, including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed. The winners agree to grant the Promoter a perpetual and non-exclusive licence to use such footage and photographs in all media worldwide.
- The personal information requested on this form is being collected by Council for the purpose of conducting the Boroondara Photograph Competition. The personal information will be used by Council for that primary purpose or directly related purposes. The information may also be used to update Council’s customer databases to assist Council in discharging its functions or providing services. Some information may also be used and disclosed in Council's marketing, promotions and retail activities, as part of Council's library catalogue, and or when exhibiting or publishing submitted works and such use and disclosure may occur outside Victoria. The personal information collected will not otherwise be disclosed unless permitted or required by law. If the information is not collected your entry to the Boroondara Photograph Competition may be ruled ineligible. Requests for access to and/or amendment of personal information should be made to Council’s Privacy Officer.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries including delays in submission due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any images lost or corrupted during the online submission. It is the entrant’s responsibility to maintain original copies of any images submitted.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at their discretion (a) adjudicate on eligibility of applicants; (b) to disqualify any entrant where the Promoter reasonably suspect any unlawful or improper conduct, such as infringing a third party’s intellectual property rights; or (c) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, as appropriate.
There are no charges to enter the competition. Any cost associated with accessing the City of Boroondara website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used