Boroondara Photograph Competition (“Competition”)
Competition Terms and Conditions
Boroondara City Council of 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell VIC 3124
Boroondara Photograph Competition
- Young Photographers Competition
- Open Photographers Competition
Commences: 9am AEST, Monday 25 January 2021
Closes: 11.59pm AEST, Friday 30 April 2021
How to Enter
To enter the Competition, Entrants must:
- Complete the entry form online at https://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/photo-competition; and
- Submit a photograph showcasing Boroondara places or people taken within the Boroondara municipality (which includes the former cities of Camberwell, Hawthorn and Kew) online via this competition page.
- The photograph must have been taken within the Boroondara municipality (which includes the former cities of Camberwell, Hawthorn and Kew).
- Entrants may submit as many entries as desired in the categories for which they are eligible.
- Photographs must be taken by the Entrant in all categories of the Young Photographers Competition and the ‘Boroondara today’ and ‘My 2020 Experience’ categories of the Open Photograph Competition. Photographs may be taken by the Entrant or the Entrant’s immediate family members in categories labelled ‘Historical’ in the Open Photograph Competition. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
- Photographs may have been taken at any period of time, as long as they are entered into the category that corresponds to that time period.
- Photographs may have been taken digitally or using film.
- Photographs may be submitted in either black and white or colour.
- Photographs must be submitted online in JPEG or TIFF digital format. DVD, CD, USB, fax or email will not be accepted as a valid submission.
- Entrants must upload a consent form(s) of all identifiable individuals in the photograph.
- Entrants under the age of 18 years must provide parental or guardian consent to enter the competition. If Entrants under the age of 18 years do not provide valid parental/guardian consent their entry will be deemed invalid.
Consent form and Promotions:
12. A consent form is required for each individual identifiable in the photograph. Individuals under the age of 18 years will need their consent form completed by a parent or guardian.
13. By submitting a photograph, the Entrant acknowledges and declares that they have obtained a valid consent form from all individuals in the photograph. If there are individuals under the age of 18 years in a photograph, written consent must be obtained by a parent or guardian, with contact details provided for each individual in the photograph.
14. The photographs will be collected and stored by the Promoter for the purpose of Council publications and use on the Council website or for other marketing purposes.
Entries will be deemed invalid where:
15. The same Photograph is submitted in more than one category;
16. The Entrant submits a Photograph in a category for which they are not eligible:
a. Young Photographers Competition:
17. Junior - Entrants in Primary School
18. Middle - Entrants in High School, years 7 - 9
19. Senior - Entrants in High School, years 10 - 12 or Entrants aged 15-17 years old as on 1 January 2021
- a. Open Photographers Competition - all ages
- 20. The Photograph is not taken in the Boroondara municipality.
- 21. The Photograph has been taken outside of the date range for the selected category.
Photographs will be deemed invalid if:
22. they are considered by the Promoter, in its absolute discretion, to be of an offensive nature or to depict adult themes;
23. they are marked in such a way that the Entrant can be identified including through watermarks; or
24. the Photograph is an edited or altered copy and therefore not original.
The winner(s) will be announced at Boroondara Photograph Competition Awards Night, Camberwell Library, 7pm, Tuesday 1 June 2021.
The winner(s) will be notified via email and telephone by Friday 4 June 2021.
If the Winner(s) cannot be contacted 28 days after the Winner(s) Notification date specified in Item 6, the Prize will be considered unclaimed and the Promoter will retain the Prize.
The prizes are:
- Young Photographers’ Competition
First prize in each age section: $60
Second prize in each age section: $40
Third prize in each age section: $20
- Open Photograph Competition
First prize in each year range: $60
Second prize in each year range: $40
Third prize in each year range: $20
My 2020 Experience: $100
- Best in Competition overall prize: $180
1. Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
By entering this Competition, you, as the Entrant acknowledge and agree that:
1.1. Information on how to enter and the conditions of entry form part of these Terms and Conditions;
1.2. Participation in the Competition is deemed acceptance of the Terms and Conditions;
1.3. All Items may be subject to further conditions contained in attached clauses;
1.4. All costs associated with entering the Competition remain the responsibility of each Entrant;
1.5. All details provided by the Entrant are true and accurate.
2.1. Entry is open to Australian Residents.
2.2. Employees of the Promoter and their immediate families are ineligible to enter the Prize Draw. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
2.3. Entrants under the age of 18 years must provide parental or guardian consent to enter the Competition. If Entrants under the age of 18 years do not provide parental/guardian consent their entry will be deemed invalid.
2.4. Entrants must be amateur photographers. ‘Amateur’ is defined as not currently earning primary income as a photographer.
3. How to Enter
3.1. To enter the Competition, the Entrant must follow the procedure specified in Item 4 to the extent that Item 4 is not inconsistent with these Terms and Conditions.
3.2. Entries will be deemed invalid if submitted outside of the Entry Period specified in Item 3.
3.3. Entrants may submit as many entries as desired.
4. Draw Details
4.1. The Promoter will draw the winner(s) following the procedure specified in Item 5.
4.2. The Promoter reserves the right to draw reserves in case of an invalid entry or ineligible Entrant.
4.3. Where applicable, a judge or judges will be appointed by the Promoter at its absolute discretion. The judge or judges’ decision is final and binding on Entrants.
5. Winner(s) Notification
5.1. The names of the winner(s) will be published on Boroondara City Council website.
5.2 The winner(s) will be notified by the procedure outlined in Item 6.
6.1. The Prize is specified in Item 7.
6.2. The Prize is in Australian dollars and is correct at time of printing. The Promoter takes no responsibility for variations in the Prize value.
6.3. The Prize is not exchangeable or redeemable for cash or other prizes. The Prize is provided by the Promoter.
6.4. The Prize is non‐transferable and not exchangeable. The Promoter is not responsible or liable if for any reason beyond their reasonable control if any element of any Prize is not provided. The Promoter may, subject to State regulations, substitute a different prize of equivalent value in place of any prize referred to in these terms and conditions. The Prize does not include any other costs of a personal nature not stated. The Prize must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if the recipient is unable to use it as stated.
6.5. The Promoter will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with the Prize except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law.
6.6. The Promoter reserves the right to request proof of identity, proof of residency and proof of entry validity. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the absolute discretion of the Promoter. In the event that a winner(s) cannot provide suitable proof the winner(s) will forfeit the Prize in whole and no substitute prize will be offered.
6.7. The prize winner(s) are awarded by the judge or judges based on relevance to the theme, artistic merit, technical merit, originality and creativity. The judge or judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6.8. The judge or judges reserve the right to not award a prize if they are of the opinion that all entries do not have sufficient merit to warrant a prize.
7.1. By entering into this Competition, the Entrant consent to any personal information collected being used by the Promoter for the purpose(s), or directly related purpose(s), of conducting the Competition.
7.2. The information may also be used to update Council’s customer databases to assist the Promoter in discharging its functions or providing services. Some information may also be used and disclosed in the Promoter’s marketing promotions and retail activities, or when exhibiting or publishing submitted works and such use and disclosure may occur outside Victoria.
7.3. The personal information collected will not otherwise be disclosed unless permitted or required by law. If the information is not collected, your entry to the Competition may be invalid. Requests for access to and/or amendment of personal information should be made to the Promoter’s Privacy Officer.
8. Release and Indemnity
8.1. To the extent permitted by law, all entrants release from, and indemnify the Promoter against all liability, cost, loss or expense arising out of acceptance of any prize(s) or participation in the promotion including (but not limited to) loss of income, loss of opportunity, personal injury and damage to property, whether direct or consequential, foreseeable, due to some negligent act or omission or otherwise.
9.1. All decisions and actions of the Promoter relating to the Giveaway and/or redemption of the prizes are exercised at its absolute discretion and are final. No discussions or correspondence with entrants or any other person will be entered into.
9.2. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any incorrectly submitted, incomplete, late, lost or misdirected entry cards or, for any technical malfunction of any communications network.
9.3. There are no charges to enter the Competition. Any costs arising directly or indirectly with entering the Competition are the Entrant’s responsibility.
9.4. The Promoter reserves the right, at their discretion to:
9.4.1. adjudicate on the eligibility of applicants;
9.4.2. disqualify any participant where the Promoter reasonably suspect any unlawful or improper conduct, such as infringing a third party’s intellectual property rights; and
9.4.3. modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as appropriate.
10. Intellectual Property
10.1. The Entrant retains the intellectual property rights of all material submitted. However, the Promoter reserves the right to retain, display in exhibitions, publish, catalogue, sell copies and publish thumbnails of all entries on the Promoter’s website and other internet platforms.
10.2. By entering the Competition, the Entrant authorises and confirms that permission has been obtained from authorised persons (including but not limited to copyright, trade mark, patent and/or design owners and individuals depicted in any photographs or images) to publish the entries on the Promoter’s website, or use the material in marketing, in print and/or electronically.
10.3. By entering the Competition, the Entrant indemnifies the Promoter against all and any actions, claims or damages, arising from unauthorised use of the photographs (including but not limited to infringement of intellectual property rights) that may be taken against the Promoter by authorised persons.
10.4. The winner(s) agree to participate as required in promotional activities relating to the competition, including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed. The winner(s) agree to grant the Promoters a perpetual and non-exclusive licence to use such footage and photographs in all media worldwide.