There are many wonderful things about raising a child with additional needs. But it also brings unique challenges.
It helps to reach out for support, especially from other parents who may be facing similar challenges with their own children.
Council services in Boroondara
- Parent-Child Mother Goose program: an evidence-based program that strengthens attachment and interaction that is particularly suitable for parents and carers who need extra support because of their own personal or social circumstances, or because their children have additional needs or are otherwise at risk. It is offered in both English and Chinese in Boroondara. For more information speak with your Maternal and Child Health service nurse.
- Smalltalk program: teaches a set of evidence-based parenting strategies to enhance the home learning environment for children from birth to school age. For more information speak with your Maternal and Child Health service nurse.
- Preschool Field Officers: enhance the capacity and confidence of early childhood educators to provide programs that are responsive to the needs of all children. Find out more about assistance for children with additional needs in kindergarten.
The Raising Children Network provides well researched, evidence based information as well as videos featuring families like yours:
Find information on providing your child with an inclusive education by visiting the Department of Education and Training website.
Find inclusive activities
AAA Play is a free service to help Victorians of all ages with a disability to become involved in sport and active recreation.
Find disability services
- The NDIS is Australia’s national Scheme that provides funding directly to people with disability. The NDIS has engaged Early Childhood Partners around Australia who work with families to tailor support to your child’s individual needs and circumstances. Find out more about help for children under 7.
- Clickability is a national online directory where people with disabilities and their carers can rate and review the services they use.
- Use the Victorian Government's Better Health Channel tool below to find up to date information on disability services.*
*The Better Health Channel website is managed and authorised by the Department of Health and Human Services, State Government of Victoria, Australia. The site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
Content on the City of Boroondara website is provided for information purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. This information is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional.