The Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank connects community organisations with short-term volunteer projects and vacancies on their Board and/or Committee with skilled professionals looking to contribute and make a difference.
The Volunteer Skills Bank is an initiative of the Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre (BVRC).
Toolkit: develop skilled volunteer projects and roles
If you're looking for support and guidance on creating skilled volunteer projects and roles that you can promote to professionals registered on the Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank, download our toolkit (PDF, 1.08MB).
The toolkit provides:
- information on the why and how of skilled volunteering
- tips on how to scope out and create skilled volunteer projects and roles
- simple tools and templates
- the benefits for your organisation in engaging skilled volunteers.
How community organisations benefit
Community organisations can benefit from the Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank in many ways.
- Grow capacity. By harnessing the skills and experience of local professionals, community organisations gain resources and improve their capacity to deliver their programs and services.
- Promote skilled volunteer opportunities. The BVRC promotes skilled volunteer opportunities, as well as Board and Committee roles with community organisations to professionals in a number of ways including through monthly alerts via an e-bulletin, its volunteer referral service, the GoVolunteer website and social media.
- Connect to skilled professionals. Each month, community organisations registered with the BVRC receive an email containing bios / profiles of professionals who have signed up to contribute their professional skills and experience via the Volunteer Skills Bank. If community organisations create short-term projects aligned to the skills of the professionals listed, the BVRC will connect both parties.
Community organisation can also connect to professionals at the annual networking and ‘speed dating’ event the Skilled Volunteer Meet.
Who can be involved
Community organisations need to become a member of the BVRC to take advantage of this opportunity (it’s free to join and takes minutes!).
To promote a skilled volunteer opportunity for your organisation once you're a member, simply fill in the volunteer role request form.
What organisations have said about using our Skills Bank
Tracey, Manager of Canterbury Community Centre
We used the Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank to source the President for our Board. We were looking for someone who understood neighbourhood houses and who had the skills and passion to steer our organisation into its next phase.
The Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank has been a helpful resource for us. It is easy and straightforward to use.
Hugh Stern, Operations Manager, Burke and Beyond
The Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank connects community organisations like Burke and Beyond with resources to undertake projects we otherwise would not be able to undertake.
There are many professionals looking to give back, contribute locally and who can add so much value - I encourage community organisations to make the most of this great free resource!”