The Victorian Government's 'No Jab, No Play' legislation came into effect in January 2016. This legislation aims to reduce the risk of vaccine-preventable diseases through increased immunisation rates in the community.

The legislation requires all children enrolling in early childhood education and care services to be up to date with their vaccinations or to have an approved exemption.

This includes long day care, kindergarten, occasional care and family day care.

It is important to note that 'conscientious objection' is not an exemption.

Update to the 'No Jab, No Play' legislation

On 28 February 2018, the ‘No Jab, No Play’ legislation was amended so that an Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is the only form of documentation accepted for the purposes of enrolling a child in an early childhood education and care service.

Previous forms of documentation, for example a letter from a GP or local council, are no longer accepted.

How to request an Immunisation History Statement

Printed copies of an Immunisation History Statement are available via an individual’s myGov account or:

  • phone the AIR on 1800 653 809
  • visit a Medicare or Centrelink office.

Families who do not hold a Medicare card must call the AIR to request an Immunisation History Statement.

More information

See the Better Health Channel's website.

How useful was this information?