To be eligible for the Registered Rooming House Subsidy, you need to meet the following criteria and conditions.

Eligibility criteria

Rooming houses (sometimes referred to as boarding houses) must:

  • be registered under the Health Act as prescribed accommodation
  • comply with the Building Act and the Building Code of Australia regulations.

Your rooming house business must:

  • have an Australian Business Number (ABN) - or you can complete a Statement by Supplier form
  • hold public liability insurance or similar
  • have satisfactorily accounted to Council for the expenditure of a previous Council grant, if relevant (businesses that haven't done this are ineligible for rooming house funding).

You must:

  • accept responsibility for the administration of the grant
  • be willing to work with the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and local health and support agencies.

We won't fund:

  • Projects run by (or involvement with) political or religious groups seeking to promote core beliefs.
  • Projects promoting gambling activities or pokie machine venues.
  • Properties owned by the City of Boroondara or State and Federal Government.

The proprietor cannot be a registered housing provider or housing association.

Funding conditions

  • The applicant must become signatory to a Standard Funding Agreement.
  • The applicant must keep a record of expenditure, including receipts in order to acquit the grant.
  • The applicant must be willing to attend a mid-year workshop for RRH operators.
  • The applicant must spend the grant funding as detailed in the application, unless written approval is obtained.
  • To measure the effectiveness of the subsidy, Council’s Social Planning Officer may visit the properties to see how the funding has improved the safety, wellbeing and/or social inclusion of the tenants.
  • Council may, at its discretion, promote the recipients of grants to the community.
  • Council may make funding conditional on other specific conditions being met.
  • The grant provided to successful applicants must be expended by 31 December 2018.
  • Businesses that cannot account for the expenditure of a previous subsidy are ineligible for funding.


Businesses must indicate their GST status on the application form. Successful rooming house proprietors will receive a Recipient Created Tax Invoice, their subsidy, plus 10 per cent GST.

To access a full version of the 2018 Annual Registered Rooming House Subsidy Guidelines, contact the Community Planning and Development department on 9278 4753 or email Andrea Learbuch, Safer Communities Project Officer