To be an eligible applicant:
- You must be a property owner or occupier.
- Owners need to provide a rates notice and written permission from the occupier.
- Occupiers/tenants need to provide a rates notice and written permission from the owner.
- Owner-occupiers need to provide a rates notice.
- Applicants must:
- be prepared to spend a minimum of $3,000 or $5,000 (depending on width of shop frontage)
- have an appropriate business registration or equivalent
- have public liability insurance (and provide a copy as part the application)
- submit their application prior to purchasing goods, fabrication and/or installation of any proposed works associated with this application
- provide quotes for works to be undertaken
- be willing to submit a public release for photos to be used
- apply for Occupy Council Controlled Land and Road/Footpath Occupancy permits required to undertake the works
- You can submit up to one application per property, and up to two applications per property owner/occupier.
- Location of the premises must be for a commercial premises within the Maling Road placemaking precinct outlined in the Maling Road Place Plan.
- Works must:
- be to the facade, shopfront and awnings or verandah of a heritage building (internal works cannot be considered for this grant)
- be of a permanent nature, unless the improvements are outdoor planters/accessories (shutters, trim) floral treatments - these must be non-permanent and not be attached to the building
- comply with Council Planning and Building Controls, Local Laws and Traffic and Transport permit requirements and Commercial Street Furniture and Access to Premises Standards
- not require a Council statutory planning or building permit, or a permit from Heritage Victoria
- be able to be completed by 30 June 2021
The following will not be eligible for this grant:
- Employees of the City of Boroondara who own the property or the business
- Australian and local government agencies and bodies
- Businesses that have an adverse effect on public health, safety, the environment or heritage.
- Applicant eligibility criteria met (as listed above)
- Description of the works to be undertaken (40%)
- Extent to which the works are in line with and will improve the precinct’s heritage aesthetic and character
- Quote/s provided (at least one quote for each type of works proposed)
- Proposed works undertaken by owners/occupiers who are willing to contribute more funds than are requested of Council may be given priority
- Implementation and work plan (20%)
- Appropriately skilled personnel are available to manage/coordinate the project (includes owner/occupier of business, as well as skilled tradespeople)
- Project is able to be completed by end of June 2021, with preference given to projects which can be completed in a shorter timeframe
- Procurement (15%)
- Grant funding will be used to contribute to the purchasing of products or services from a business within Boroondara
- Overall improvement to streetscape (15%)
- Extent to which the scope of the works will contribute to the overall improvement of the streetscape
- Time since the shopfront façade has been refreshed (10%)
- Owners/occupiers who have not updated their façade recently may be given priority.
- Council will advise on Local Laws and Traffic and Transport permit requirements
- Successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement.
- The first instalment of the grant payment (50% of the total approved grant amount) will be paid once all parties have signed the funding agreement.
- Once works are completed, applicants will be required to fill out an acquittal form.
- The second instalment of the grant payment (50% of the total approved grant amount) will be paid once the acquittal form is submitted and approved.