• We recommend you book an inspection by Council before you buy a food business.
  • When you buy an existing food business, you need to transfer the registration to you.
  • Transferring registration of a food business incurs a fee.

If you're purchasing an existing food business, such as a cafe or restaurant, you still need to register it with Council.

Step 1: Request a pre-purchase inspection

If you are looking to buy an existing registered food business, we strongly recommend you obtain a Food Act Transfer Inspection Report from Council before you buy the food business.

We offer a pre-purchase transfer inspection service. This service includes an inspection of the food premises by our environmental health officers, and a report that details any non-compliant items with the Food Act 1984. See Guidance on Structural Standards for Food Premises for more information.

There is a fee for this service. The standard service provides a report within 10 working days or you can choose to pay a higher fee for a 5-day turnaround.

You also need to get consent from the current proprietor to release the inspection report.

To request a transfer inspection

Download and complete the transfer inspection request form:

Submit the application form and fee to Council:

See payments for information on how to pay the fee.

Once we've inspected your premises, we'll mail your inspection report to you.

After we've issued the report, it's your and the current proprietor's responsibility to negotiate and resolve all outstanding non-compliant items.

If you need to check that your new premises complies with building or planning requirements or other utility providers, then you need to contact the relevant authority.

Step 2: Apply for a transfer of registration

When we send your inspection transfer report, we'll include an Application for Transfer of Registration form so you can transfer the registration from the current owner to you.

Alternatively, if you have not requested a transfer inspection report, you can contact us on email Health Services or call 9278 4701 to request an Application for Transfer of Registration form.

To apply to transfer registration

Complete the Application for Transfer of Registration form.

With your application, you also need to provide:

  • details of the new Food Safety Program you intend to use, and a nominated food safety supervisor for class 1 and class 2 premises (see food business classification for more information)
  • a Certificate of Incorporation if the proprietorship is a business.

Submit the application form with the required documentation and fee:

See payments for information on how to pay the fee.

Step 3: Transfer of registration

If your application is successful, you'll be notified by Council.

We'll contact you if we need more information.

When you've been operating for 1 month, an environmental health officer will visit your premises to check that it complies with the Food Safety Program and the transfer inspection report.

If everything is in order, you'll receive a Certificate of Transfer of Registration at this first inspection.

Contact us

For further information please contact us on 9278 4444 or email [email protected]

How useful was this information?