• We recommend you request an inspection by Council before you buy and transfer a food or health business.
  • When you buy an existing food or health business, you need to have the registration transferred to you.
  • Transferring the registration incurs a fee.

If you're purchasing an existing food business, such as a cafe or restaurant, you still need to register it with Council.

Council registers food and health premises operating as businesses such as restaurants, cafes, bakeries, beauty treatment, waxing, tattoo and body piercing. If you are buying an existing business, that premises will need to be registered with us and needs to be compliant with either the Food Act 1984 or Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008

Step 1: Request a pre-purchase inspection

If you are looking to buy an existing registered food business, we strongly recommend you obtain a pre-purchase inspection report from Council before you buy the food business.

We offer a pre-purchase inspection service. This service includes an inspection of the food premises by our environmental health officers, and a report that details any non-compliant items with the Food Act 1984. See Guidance on Structural Standards for Food Premises for more information.

There is a fee for this service. The standard service provides a report within 10 working days or you can choose to pay a higher fee for a 5-day turnaround.

You also need to get consent from the current proprietor to release the inspection report.

To request a pre-purchase inspection

Download and complete the pre-purchase inspection request form.

Submit the request form and fee to Council:

Details on how to pay the fee are detailed on the pre-purchase inspection request form.

Once we've inspected your premises, we'll mail your inspection report to you.

After we've issued the report, it's your responsibility to negotiate and resolve any outstanding non-compliant items with the current proprietors.

If you need to check that your new premises complies with building or planning requirements or other utility providers, then it is your responsibility to contact the relevant authority.

Step 2: Apply for a transfer of registration

When a pre-purchase inspection report has occurred

When we send your pre-purchase inspection report we'll also include an Application for Transfer of Registration form so you can transfer the registration from the current owner to

When a pre-purchase inspection report has not occurred

You can apply for a transfer of registration without having had requested a pre-purchase inspection report . Please contact us on email Health Services or call 9278 4701 to request an Application for Transfer of Registration form.

To apply to transfer registration

Complete the Application for Transfer of Registration form.

With your application, you also need to provide:

  • details of the new Food Safety Program you intend to use, and a nominated food safety supervisor for class 1 and class 2 premises (see food business classification for more information)
  • a Certificate of Incorporation if the proprietorship is a business
  • the business's ABN.

Submit the application form with the required documentation and fee:

  • email Council
  • mail to Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124
  • in person at a Customer Service Centre.

Details on how to pay the fee are detailed on the Application for Transfer of Registration form.

Step 3: Transfer of registration

If your application is successful, you'll be notified by Council.

We'll contact you if we need more information.

When you've been operating for 1 month, an environmental health officer will visit your premises to check that it complies with the relevant standards and the pre-purchase inspection report.

If everything is in order, you'll receive a Certificate of Registration at this first inspection.

Registration lasts until 31st December each year. Annual registrations are sent in late October each year to give you plenty of time to renew before the expiry date.

More information

For further information please contact us on 9278 4444 or email [email protected].

How useful was this information?