We have launched the Small Business Booster grant program to support businesses to respond to the impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak. Grants of up to $1,500 are available to eligible businesses operating from a commercial premises.
Businesses can apply for funding under one of the following categories:
- Category 1: Pivot/adapt products, services and/or operations (for example, set-up an online presence, deliver programs/services online, undertake research and development to create a new product or service line, change shop fit-out, etc).
- Category 2: Undertake promotional activities (for example, social media advertising, design/printing/distribution of flyers, etc)
- Category 3: Implement activities outlined in COVID safe plans (for example, cleaning and sanitising products, as well as signage).
Items eligible for funding include:
- cleaning products
Preference will be given to applications which:
- procure products and services from local suppliers in the City of Boroondara
- provide services and products to Boroondara residents
- keep people employed, or facilitate the creation of new employment opportunities
- differentiate their business from competitors
- can be completed in a short timeframe
For Category 1, preference may be given to applications which:
- have not already commenced/spent money on the proposed initiative (the grant would facilitate the commencement of the project/initiative)
- do not currently have an online presence if proposing to seek funds to develop a new website (including e-commerce)
Successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement.
To be eligible businesses must:
- operate from a commercial premises within the City of Boroondara
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- employ fewer than 20 FTE employees at the time of application, in exceptional circumstances applications above this number of employees will be considered in the hospitality and tourism sectors, be a sole trader or part of a business partnership
- be seeking funding for the costs associated with hardware, software, equipment, cleaning products, printing, advertising
- have been in business for more than 12 months
- have the appropriate insurances, permits and licences for business operation
- have been forced to cease or limit operations as a result of business restrictions under Stage 3 and 4 prescribed by the Victorian Government
- demonstrate how the grant funds will help address the challenges they have faced as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak
- not have received a grant from the City of Boroondara in the past five years
- provide quotes for products and services to be obtained
Individuals with multiple businesses in Boroondara can only apply for funding for one of their businesses.
The following businesses and people are not eligible for funding under the Small Business Booster grant program:
- businesses located outside the City of Boroondara
- political organisations or those with a political purpose
- employees of the City of Boroondara or their immediate families
- businesses currently receiving other sources of Council funding
- employees of Australian and local government agencies and bodies, foundations or grant making bodies, or have a primary focus on fundraising
- trader associations and owners corporations (strata and company owned)
- branches, franchisees or subsidiaries of larger companies
- businesses that have an adverse effect on public health, safety, the environment, or heritage
The following will not be funded:
- business costs, including utilities, salaries or rent
- projects, products or services already purchased/provided/paid for (no retrospective funding)
- construction works
Applications close Sunday 27 September 2020.
Applications will be assessed in October 2020.
Successful applicants will be notified by November 2020. Any unsuccessful applicants will be notified by December 2020.
Proposed activities are expected to be completed by 30 June 2021.
- Register and complete your application online via SmartyGrants - Submit one application only.
- On submission, you will receive a submission acknowledgement receipt from SmartyGrants.
Applications are assessed by a panel comprised of two Council Economic Development officers.
The City of Boroondara reserves the right to request further information in considering any application.
Applications are kept confidential and the application details will not be disclosed to any person outside the application and assessment process. A short summary of the application activity may be provided to Council officers involved in the assessment process and the outcomes achieved by businesses in receipt of funding may be promoted through City of Boroondara channels.
All funding decisions are at the discretion of Council and are final.
|Extent to which the proposed project will assist to contribute to/address impacts of COVID-19 on business
Outline how the grant funds requested will assist the business to:
- respond to/address the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak
- differentiate from competitors (where appropriate and applicable)
- retain or recruit new employees (where appropriate and applicable)
We will consider whether:
- the business provides services and products to Boroondara residents
- the grant funding will be used to obtain products and services from a business within Boroondara
|Implementation plan, including resourcing, timelines
We will consider:
- how the project will be implemented and resourced including staff involvement and timelines, keeping mind that funds must be spent by end of June 2021
- measures to evaluate whether the grant funds have assisted the business to respond to the impact of COVID-19
|Completion within a short timeframe
The project can be implemented by 30 June 2021, with preference given to those that can be completed within a shorter timeframe
Successful applicants will be required to provide an acquittal report, which:
- outlines how the funds supported the business to continue to deliver services and products to the Boroondara community despite the challenges posed by COVID-19
- includes invoices and receipts for services and products funded by the grant
If you have any questions or need advice, we’re here to help.
For queries about the grants program, please contact the Economic Development Department on 9278 4814 or [email protected].