We introduced temporary outdoor trading spaces across Boroondara from late 2020 to help the local economy recover and support businesses to operate in a COVIDSafe way.
We supported businesses to establish new and extended outdoor dining spaces on:
- businesses’ private land, like courtyards and private car parks
- public spaces, like parks, civic squares and pedestrian laneways
- temporary parklets in car parking bays.
See our Outdoor trading permits page to find out more about your options as a business.
Parklets will remain in place across some of Boroondara’s shopping strips until 31 May 2022. This includes:
- the extension of several parklets which have been in place since October 2020
- enhancements to some extended parklets through the addition of planters, fencing, decking and AstroTurf
- reinstating some parklets that were originally installed in October 2020 but had been removed during winter
These parklets have been supported by funding from the Victorian Government’s ‘COVIDSafe Outdoor Activation Fund 2021’.
To keep updated about parklets, sign up to our mailing list.
We are delivering a program of roving street performers, musicians and other entertainment over the summer and autumn months. The program will help bring a sense of vibrancy to Boroondara’s shopping strips and encourage visitors to stay longer.
Our Street Sounds page has more information about this program.
The COVIDSafe Business Concierge program aims to help local businesses comply with Victorian State Government directions in an effort to keep our community safe and our economy open.
Since Monday 2 August 2021, Business Concierge Officers have been visiting Boroondara businesses to provide support, advice and resources to improve their COVIDSafe practices.
These officers will:
- provide one-on-one guidance based on Victorian Government advice
- answer questions
- work with businesses to help them meet the directions of the Victorian Chief Health Officer
- work to make sure staff and the wider community stay healthy and safe.
Find out more about the COVIDSafe Business Concierge program.
We can showcase your business in a couple of ways.
Love Local Life business directory
Sign up to profile your business via the Love Local Life business directory.
This online directory has been created to showcase Boroondara businesses, with the aim of assisting residents and visitors to find new favourite products and services while supporting local.
Businesses can showcase their COVIDSafe service options, including:
- click and collect
- contactless delivery
- outdoor dining and more.
Share your story with fellow business owners
If you have advice for other local business owners on how you have adapted to the challenges of COVID-19, we would love to share your story.
For us to share your story you need to email [email protected] with the following:
- the name of your business
- information about your products and services and how you’re doing things differently to ensure the health of employees and customers is prioritised
- a photo of your adapted business in action (this could depict the steps you’ve taken to promote health and safety, for example, your new takeaway coffee set-up/station).
Local, state and federal supports
The City of Boroondara, Victorian Government and Australian Government are providing a range of supports and resources to assist businesses.
In April 2020, Council announced a $4.5 million relief and recovery package, which provided financial support to businesses.
Support is available from the Victorian Government to help businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- The Victorian Government Coronavirus hub provides information on financial support for people and businesses and business grants and support.
- Business Victoria offers a range of grants and programs to support businesses.
- Learn more about support for commercial (including retail) tenants and landlords who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 from the Victorian Small Business Commission.
- Visit the Jobs Victoria Fund page on the Jobs Victoria website for information on wage subsidies to assist Victorian businesses to employ at least 10,000 people who are looking for work.
- The Victorian Government's Digital Jobs program aims to grow the state's digital workforce by retraining and upskilling Victorians so they can transition into digital careers.
Support is also available from the Australian Government to help businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- The Australian Government provides information on COVID-19 financial assistance and support for businesses.
- The Department of Education, Skills and Employment website offers information on wage subsidies to encourage employers to hire eligible participants in ongoing jobs
- Services Australia has payments and support if you’re affected by COVID-19
- The COVID-19 update from the Australian Government Office for the Arts includes funding and support opportunities for the cultural and creative sector.
- The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides information and support for businesses having difficulty meeting tax and super obligations.
- The Youth Jobs PaTH page on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website has information about an Australian Government service that supports businesses to trial young people in the workplace and offers a financial incentive for their hire.
- The Launch into Work program page on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website has information primarily focused on creating long-term employment pathways for women by preparing job seekers for specific entry-level roles with an organisation.
- The Australian Government provides financial assistance to eligible employers to help with hiring, training and retaining an apprentice on their Australian Apprenticeships website.
We have a number of online resources available to support your business.
- Access online tutorials for a beginner's guide to using Instagram and LinkedIn for your business. See our Online business resources page.
- To receive regular information and resources to support your business, subscribe to our Business Boroondara e-newsletter, BizBits.
- Learn about what permits or registrations may be required to get your business up and running. Contact Council's Business Support service using the details on our Permits and Registrations for your business page.
- Register for an upcoming workshop or networking session on our Events for business page.
- Register for free, online business mentoring for new and established business owners to address challenges and explore opportunities on our Free business mentoring page.
- Consider whether you can save money, help attract new customers, build better staff morale and support and protect the environment by reading through our Businesses and environmental sustainability page and becoming a sustainable business.
For additional resources, support services, information and advice, see:
- The Victorian Government's COVIDSafe workplaces information and resources
- The Victorian Government's translated information about COVID-19
- The Victorian Government's signs, posters and templates for your workplace
- The Australian Banking Association's information on how banks are helping customers impacted by COVID-19
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) COVID-19 information for business
- Business Victoria's COVID-19 information for your business and workplace wellbeing resource
- The Partners in Wellbeing helpline. Available on 1300 375 330, 9am to 10pm weekdays, and 9am to 5pm weekends
- Beyond Blue's Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. Available on 1800 512 348, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- WorkSafe Victoria's Wellbeing Support Service for retail workers
- The Ahead for Business hub, supporting small business to be mentally healthy
- Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman's My Business Health hub
- Indigenous Business Australia's COVID-19 support
- The Victorian Chamber of Commerce's COVID-19 resources for business
- The Australia Retailers Association's free COVIDSafe retail business support services
- The Support Act crisis relief service for artists, crew and music workers
- Safe Work Australia’s COVID-19 information for workplaces
- WorkSafe Victoria's COVID-19 information for industry and workplaces
- The Fair Work Helpline for free initial advice to business owners with Fair Work Act issues and questions
- Upskill My Business has offered free online learning for small businesses
- The Inner Metropolitan Melbourne – Department of Education, Skills and Employment, Australian Government for expertise, resources, and access to funding at the local level to support job seekers and their communities