We introduced temporary outdoor trading spaces across Boroondara from late 2020 to help the local economy recover and support businesses to operate in a COVIDSafe way.
We supported businesses to establish new and extended outdoor dining spaces on:
- businesses’ private land, like courtyards and private car parks
- public spaces, like parks, civic squares and pedestrian laneways
- temporary parklets in car parking bays.
See our outdoor trading permits page to find out more about your options as a business.
There are 15 parklets across Boroondara’s shopping strips in place until 31 October 2021.
Planning is underway to extend the parklet program over summer and beyond. We will provide more information about this as soon as we can.
To keep updated about parklets, sign up to our mailing list.
The COVIDSafe Business Concierge program aims to help local businesses comply with Victorian Chief Health Officer directions in an effort to keep our community safe and our economy open.
From Monday 2 August, 2 Business Concierge Officers will begin visiting Boroondara businesses to provide support, advice and resources to improve their COVIDSafe practices.
These officers will:
- provide one-on-one guidance based on Victorian Government advice
- answer questions
- work with businesses to help them meet the directions of the Victorian Chief Health Officer
- work to make sure staff and the wider community stay healthy and safe.
Find out more about the COVIDSafe Business Concierge program.
We can showcase your business in a couple of ways.
Love Local Life business directory
Sign up to profile your business via the Love Local Life business directory.
This online directory has been created to showcase Boroondara businesses, with the aim of assisting residents and visitors to find new favourite products and services while supporting local.
Businesses can showcase their COVIDSafe service options, including:
- click and collect
- contactless delivery
- outdoor dining and more.
Share your story with fellow business owners
If you have advice for other local business owners on how you have adapted to the challenges of COVID-19, we would love to share your story.
Email us with the following so we can profile you:
- the name of your business
- information about your products and services and how you’re doing things differently to ensure the health of employees and customers is prioritised
- a photo of your adapted business in action (this could depict the steps you’ve taken to promote health and safety, for example, your new takeaway coffee set-up/station).
Local, state and federal supports
The City of Boroondara, Victorian Government and Australian Government are providing a range of supports and resources to assist businesses.
In April 2020, Council announced a $4.5 million relief and recovery package, which provided financial support to businesses.
Support is available from the Victorian Government to help businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- The Victorian Government Coronavirus hub provides information on financial support for people and businesses and business grants and support.
- Business Victoria offers a range of grants and programs to support business.
- Learn more about support for commercial (including retail) tenants and landlords who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 from the Victorian Small Business Commission.
- Visit Jobs Victoria Fund for information on wage subsidies to assist Victorian businesses to employ at least 10,000 people who are looking for work.
Support is also available from the Australian Government to help businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- The Australian Government provides information on COVID-19 financial assistance and support for businesses.
- Services Australia payments and support if you’re affected by COVID-19
- The Australian Government Office for the Arts COVID-19 update includes funding and support opportunities for the cultural and creative sector.
- The Treasury department of the Australian Government offers a number of temporary assistance measures to support businesses to manage cash flow challenges and retain employees.
- The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides information and support for businesses having difficulty meeting tax and super obligations.
We have a number of online resources available to support your business.
- Access online tutorials for a beginner's guide to using Instagram and LinkedIn for your business. See Online business resources.
- To receive regular information and resources to support your business, subscribe to our Business Boroondara e-newsletter, BizBits.
- Learn about what permits may be required to get your business up and running. Contact Council's Business Support service.
- Register for an upcoming workshop or networking session.
- Register for free, online business mentoring for new and established business owners to address challenges and explore opportunities.
- Consider whether you can save money, help attract new customers, build better staff morale and support and protect the environment by becoming a sustainable business.
For additional resources, support services, information and advice, see:
- The Victorian Government COVIDSafe workplaces information and resources
- The Victorian Government translated information about COVID-19
- The Victorian Government signs, posters and templates for your workplace
- The Victorian Government QR code and record keeping for contact tracing information and requirements for workers and visitors to your business or venue
- The Victorian Government information on checking in with QR codes
- The Australian Banking Association information on how banks are helping customers impacted by COVID-19
- Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) COVID-19 information for business
- Business Victoria COVID-19 information for your business and mental health in business resources
- Partners in Wellbeing helpline. Available on 1300 375 330, 9am-10pm weekdays and 9am-5pm weekends
- Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. Available on 1800 512 348, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- WorkSafe Victoria Wellbeing Support Service for retail workers
- Ahead for Business hub supporting small business to be mentally healthy
- Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman My Business Health hub
- Indigenous Business Australia COVID-19 support
- The Victorian Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 resources for business
- The Australia Retailers Association free COVIDSafe retail business support services
- Support Act crisis relief services for artists, crew and music workers
- Safe Work Australia’s COVID-19 information for workplaces
- WorkSafe Victoria COVID-19 information for industry and workplaces
- The Fair Work Helpline for free initial advice on your obligations as an employer
- Upskill My Business offer free online learning for small businesses
- The Inner Metropolitan Melbourne – Department of Education, Skills and Employment, Australian Government for expertise, resources and access to funding at the local level to support job seekers and their communities
- Some Victorian TAFEs and Registered Training Organisations are delivering free infection control training for customer-facing employees