On this page
Please note: expressions of interest for the 2024 Boroondara Arts Initiative closed on Tuesday 19 September 2023.
The Boroondara Arts Initiative is an annual project which invites artists and creative producers to deliver artistic work co-designed with the Boroondara community. The initiative follows the Making Art with Communities Work Guide framework principles, which is available on the Creative Victoria website.
Successful applicants receive project guidance and financial support to present a new or existing work that engages the local community. This work can be in any art form.
Our objective is to create a new work that will foster a sense of community with City of Boroondara residents of all ages and backgrounds. The Boroondara Arts Initiative project aims to:
- engage the community
- capture and share the journey of how the community participated
- deliver an outcome that celebrates the community.
The Boroondara Arts Initiative project aims to encourage community participation by:
- creating a culture of inclusion that inspires people to engage with the arts
- creating meaningful partnerships that promote and strengthen cultural experiences for everyone
- working with internal departments to promote and strengthen cultural experiences for everyone.
The process for the Boroondara Arts Initiative project includes:
- finding ways to increase opportunities for the Boroondara community to engage through art
- supporting a process that promotes and advocates for a sense of community, health, wellbeing and safety.
The outcome of the Boroondara Arts Initiative project will include creating an artwork that reflects the community’s uniqueness. This could include:
- an expression of the community’s needs
- the community’s aspirations
- the community’s inspirations
- sense of place and pride
- an artwork that can be adapted or replicated in other communities
- professional development opportunities for the artists.
- 9 Aug 2023: expressions of interest open
- 19 September 2023: expressions of interest close
- Late September 2023: applicants are shortlisted
- October 2023: applicants are notified.
Our past projects as part of the Boroondara Arts Initiative include:
- Wild City, 2022
- Apomawish, 2021
- If these leaves could talk, 2020
- A Cultured Place, 2019.
Find out more on our Community collaboration page.