Our Shade Policy was adopted in 2017 in recognition of growing community demand and greater understanding of the health, comfort and environmental benefits of shade.
The policy sets out our approach to the provision of shade in public outdoor spaces and to ensure shade is an integral part of our project planning processes.
It provides a set of guiding principles to help decisions about where built shade (shade sails, gazebos and shelters) and natural shade (trees) can be used. The policy also addresses the community’s role in adopting ongoing sun protection practices for themselves and others in their care.
We are committed to enhancing the lives of children and their families by adding permanent built shade structures to cover all of our existing sandpits. We will complete this by the end of the 2020-21 financial year.
We have also committed to incorporating built and tree shade into the design process as we progress through our Playground Replacement Program.
Shade installations planned for 2020-21
- Fenton Reserve sandpit, Kew
- Sir William Angliss Reserve sandpit, Hawthorn East
Shade installations completed in 2019-20
- Grace Park sandpit, Hawthorn
- Markham Reserve Playground, Ashburton
- Highfield Park Playground, Camberwell
- Greythorn Park Playground, Balwyn North
- Through Road Reserve sandpit, Camberwell
Shade installations completed in 2018-19
- Canterbury Sports Ground, Canterbury, as part of the playground replacement program
- Summerhill Park sandpit, Glen Iris
- Watson Park sandpit, Ashburton
- Willison Park sandpit, Camberwell
Shade installations completed in 2017-18
- Anderson Park Playground, Hawthorn
- Ferndale Park, Glen Iris, as part of the playground replacement program