As part of our Playgrounds Development Strategy, we are planning to upgrade the playground at Nettleton Park in Glen Iris.
Due to its age and condition the playground is scheduled to be replaced in 2020-2021.
After receiving feedback from the community the design of the new playground is now complete.
Construction is programmed to commence in the 2020/21 financial year.
Download Nettleton Park playground design
About the project
The new playground design includes the themes most popular with the community:
- New swings - A double swing set including 1 x infant seat, 1 x senior strap seat and a new hammock swing.
- A new multi-play unit including:
- A junior section with easy stair access to platforms, 1.2m high slide, tunnel, scramble net climb, hanging rings, 3m track ride, activity panels and shade roof.
- A senior section with 2.2m high climbing cube frame that overlooks the sports field from behind the existing protective fencing, with monkey bars, high slide and multiple climbing challenges.
- A new junior play unit with easy stair access, tunnel, activity panels, 1.2m high slide, track glide, junior hanging rings and shade roof.
- An updated single spring rocker and new multi-user rocker.
- A new single spinner.
- Interactions with nature, including balancing and hopping among the trees, new plantings, rocks and logs.
- A combination of new and upgraded fencing.
- Increased access with upgraded footpaths and play surfaces suitable for users with limited mobility.
A realignment and upgrade of the existing footpath to the Nettleton Park sports pavilion is also proposed to enable all ability access. Council officers will work with the sports clubs to determine the best alignment, taking into consideration site trees and the cricket practice net run up requirements.
Minor improvements will also be made to the surface area surrounding the existing basketball key, which will be respectful of existing tree root zones.
Other amenities will include:
- upgraded play equipment
- enhanced park amenities
- improved accessibility
- new landscaping.
|November 2019||Community consultation||
We asked the community for their feedback to help inform the design. The key themes we heard from the community were:
|December 2020||Design developed||Available for public to view.|
|2020-21||Works to commence|