Corner Glenferrie and Gardiner roads, Hawthorn
The H.A. Smith Reserve Concept Master Plan was adopted by Council in 2007. The plan provides direction to improve the reserve for sporting needs and recreational purposes.
The key aims of the master plan are to:
- increase non-sporting recreation opportunities
- improve access for pedestrians and cyclists
- improve the sporting facilities and pavilion
- enhance the appearance of the reserve.
Nearly all recommendations of the master plan are complete, including:
- a new sports pavilion
- transformation of a section of Reserve Road into parkland
- construction of a new beginners' skate and BMX playground
- extra paths and improvements to the Gardiners Creek Trail, including a bridge crossing under the Monash Freeway
- relocation of the cricket nets
- additional tree planting and landscaping
- upgrades to the sports field, including new training lights.
An outstanding master plan recommendation is to increase carparking by using the space under the Monash Freeway. This part of the site is not owned or managed by Council. However, we are continuing to seek use of this space for a public carpark.
For more information, contact our landscape and design team on 9278 4060 or email: [email protected].