The Balwyn Park Master Plan sets the vision for the park as a popular sporting hub that encourages casual leisure and play. The plan also aims to enhance the park as an inviting green haven within the Balwyn Shopping Centre.
The master plan was adopted by Council in November 2013.
The key aims of the master plan are to:
- maintain the sporting focus of the park while creating better opportunities for casual recreation and play
- introduce more open space by relocating the tennis facility to the former bowls club site
- enable the community to access facilities within the redeveloped bowls pavilion
- improve safety when people move around, and through, the park
- enhance the park’s amenity and environmental outcomes
- create better connections between the park and Whitehorse Road.
The Master Plan is being implemented in three stages.
- converting the former bowling greens into four tennis courts including lighting
- constructing a new tennis pavilion and a space for community groups
- improving the space between the former bowling greens site and the oval (including access, planting, seating and views between the areas)
Construction of Stage One of the Master Plan has commenced and is expected to be completed in early 2019.
This comprises opening up the eastern portion of the park, between the northern oval and Cherry Road, allowing for its conversion into a community space for informal sport and play suitable for young people.
Stage two includes:
- demolition of the tennis clubhouse and tennis courts, once the Balwyn Park Tennis Club has move into its new facility
- creating an activities area with lit basketball and netball half-courts, rebound wall, parkour and outdoor fitness equipment, outdoor table tennis and foosball
- incorporating terraces, rubber surfaced embankment, shade, seating, BBQ and shelter
- retaining the grassed embankments for spectator viewing
- retaining the existing playground
- upgrading and increasing the number of cricket nets from two to three
- completing the pedestrian promenade around the oval and circuit path around the park
- providing a toilet facility in the vicinity of the playground
- providing new stairs and seating to the southern oval
- conversion of the central internal road into a shared vehicular and pedestrian zone.
Construction of Stage 2 has commenced with the works around the southern oval and will be carried out across two financial years until mid 2020.
This stage completes the Master Plan. It includes the Whitehorse Road frontage of the park and the entry plaza on the corner of Whitehorse and Cherry Roads.
You can receive regular email updates on the Balwyn Park site upgrade.
Contact Warwick Tempany, Co-ordinator Building Assets on 9278 4522, or email Warwick Tempany.