On 10 December 2018 the City of Boroondara endorsed a concept to implement two turf senior sized soccer fields and a range of supporting infrastructure and landscaping works at Dorothy Laver Reserve West (DLRW). Council has moved to address a significant shortage of sporting fields to accommodate the growth in juniors, girls and women playing sport in our City.
What does this decision mean for Dorothy Laver Reserve West?
- Two senior-sized soccer fields will be implemented using the existing natural turf. A synthetic surface will not be installed.
- While DLRW will have a soccer focus, it will be used by multiple clubs. The field of play will meet Football Federation Victoria (FFV) requirements but the works do not include other FFV requirements for areas outside the field of play such as a PA system, undercover seating for 500 people or a media area.
- Camberwell Lacrosse Club will consolidate its activities at nearby Eric Raven Reserve (ERR) during 2019.
- Glen Iris Cricket Club will be relocated from DLRW to other nearby grounds from the commencement of the 2019-20 cricket season.
- The sportsground lighting will be upgraded using sustainable LED technology. The lighting will accommodate training from 5pm to 9pm weekdays during the winter season and will not be used for fixtured matches.
- On-site car parking will be expanded to include an additional 20 car parking spaces.
- Community consultation to inform development of a comprehensive landscape design plan will start in early-mid 2019. The plan will include tree planting, fencing and an improved alignment of the bike path near the bridge.
- Any new fencing will look similar to the fencing which currently surrounds the sports field – it will not be 1.8m high fencing.
- The community will be free to access DLRW when it is not being used for organised sport.
- Minor works will be carried out after the 2018/19 cricket season. This will include the installation of soccer goals and line marking. The remainder of works including lighting, sportsground drainage, car parking, fencing and landscaping will occur after the 2019 winter sports season.
- This project is expected to cost $960,100.
For further information or to submit any queries, please email Chad Henry at [email protected] or phone 9278 4444.