We are upgrading the popular Balwyn Community Centre site at 412 Whitehorse Road, Surrey Hills. Construction commenced in January 2019.
Balwyn Community Centre’s programs and activities have relocated temporarily to 230 Balwyn Rd, Balwyn North, to allow construction to take place.
The community garden will remain operational at the 412 Whitehorse Road site throughout construction.
About the project
The Balwyn Community Centre site, with its buildings, tennis courts, natural wetlands, parkland and community garden, is widely used for community programs, recreation and occasional childcare.
We are upgrading the site in line with community feedback, so that the centre can meet the needs of our growing and increasingly diverse population.
The upgrade will:
- create functional spaces for community programs and groups
- relocate and expand the Balwyn Maternal and Child Health Centre
- upgrade the 20-place occasional childcare centre
- enhance the parkland setting and revitalise the native vegetation in the wetland
- expand the community garden to provide greater access without reducing parkland
- improve visibility and accessibility of the Balwyn Community Centre from Whitehorse Road
- provide a recreation zone, including a new tennis court for casual use.
Balwyn Community Centre has relocated to 230 Balwyn Road, Balwyn North. Activities and programs are continuing at this location throughout construction.
Construction commenced in January 2019. The new centre is expected to open in 2020.
The project has been guided by a three phase community consultation. In April 2016, Council received ideas from 201 residents about what they would like to see at Balwyn Community Centre.
These ideas, along with local demographic research, Council’s strategic objectives, and in-depth consultation with the Balwyn Community Centre, informed the development of the concept plan. The concept plan was presented to the community first in March 2017, then for feedback in October 2017, before the detailed design was developed.
You can receive regular email updates on the Balwyn Community Centre site upgrade.
You can also read past project updates:
- Balwyn Community Centre Redevelopment Project Bulletin (May 2018) (PDF, 262 KB)
- Balwyn Community Centre Redevelopment Project Bulletin (January 2019) (PDF, 336 KB)
For more information on the BCC Upgrade, email Kate McClure, Community Planning, or phone 9278 4573. For information about the Centre, contact Deb Austin, Balwyn Community Centre, on 9836 7942 or visit their website.