We have upgraded the popular Balwyn Community Centre site at 412 Whitehorse Road, Surrey Hills. Construction commenced in January 2019 and is now complete.
About the project
The Balwyn Community Centre site, with its buildings, tennis courts, natural wetlands, parkland and community garden, is widely used for community programs, recreation and occasional childcare.
We have upgraded the site in line with community feedback, so that the centre can meet the needs of our growing and increasingly diverse population. The previous layout of the centre, which was originally a house, was no longer suitable for the many and varied programs and activities the centre provides.
The upgrade has:
- created functional spaces for community programs and groups
- relocated and expanded the Balwyn Maternal and Child Health Centre
- upgraded the 20-place occasional childcare centre
- enhanced the parkland setting and revitalised the native vegetation in the wetland
- expanded the community garden to provide greater access without reducing parkland
- improved visibility and accessibility of the Balwyn Community Centre from Whitehorse Road
- provided a recreation zone, including a new tennis court for casual use.
The project has been guided by a three phase community consultation. In April 2016, Council received ideas from 201 residents about what they would like to see at Balwyn Community Centre.
These ideas, along with local demographic research, Council’s strategic objectives, and in-depth consultation with the Balwyn Community Centre, informed the development of the concept plan. The concept plan was presented to the community first in March 2017, then for feedback in October 2017, before the detailed design was developed.