We are upgrading the popular Balwyn Community Centre site at 412 Whitehorse Road, Surrey Hills.
About the project
The Balwyn Community Centre site, with its buildings, tennis courts, natural wetlands, parkland and community garden, is widely used for community programs, recreation and occasional childcare.
We are upgrading the site in line with community feedback, so that the centre can meet the needs of our growing population.
The buildings will contain additional and more functional spaces to better support programs and services; the heritage character of the old building will be maintained; and the street frontage will be improved to make the site more open and welcoming.
The site will be maintained for community use. It will not be developed for residential or commercial use, and it will not be subdivided.
We will work with the centre to minimise disruption to programs during the upgrade. Programs will be temporarily relocated once construction starts in 2018. We recommend you subscribe to project updates.
Two stages of the project remain:
- Stage 4: Finalising the design in partnership with the Balwyn Community Centre in 2018.
- Stage 5: Building and landscape works in 2018–19.
Three of the project’s five stages have been completed.
Stage 1: Community consultation, April 2016
Council received ideas from 201 residents, which included the following themes:
- maintain the natural bushland character of the parkland
- upgrade internal spaces in the old house, taking care to retain its character
- consider sustainable and universal building design principles to lower operating costs
- improve the site’s street presence, external lighting, frontage and entrance
- improve pedestrian access and footpaths
- maintain car parking and improve circulation for drop-offs and pick-ups
- expand access to the community garden
- retain 1 or 2 tennis courts, or use them for other recreational opportunities (such as a children’s play area or table tennis).
Stage 2: Community consultation on draft concept plans, March 2017
We drafted a concept plan based on the community’s input, which was open for community discussion in March 2017. The feedback along with local demographic research and Council strategic objectives were used to develop the detailed concept plan for Stage 3.
Stage 3: Community feedback on the detailed concept plan in October 2017
We drafted a detailed concept plan based on the community’s feedback, which was open for community discussion in October 2017. The feedback along with local demographic research and Council strategic objectives will be used to finalise the design (Stage 4).
You can receive regular email updates on the Balwyn Community Centre site upgrade.
For more information, email Fiona Brown, Community Planning, or phone 9278 4474, or contact Deb Austin, Balwyn Community Centre, on 9836 7942.