At the Council Meeting of the City of Boroondara held on 26 February 2018, Council resolved to amend the Council Order in Council No. 1 (“Order”) that deals with areas where dogs may be exercised off-leash by adding one reserve to the list of Designated Reserves: Recreation Hall Reserve, Kew.
As a reminder the following public notice is published for the benefit of all dog owners and other interested parties.
(Amended) Order of the Boroondara City Council, Section 26(2), Domestic Animals Act 1994.
Dog must be under effective control.
The owner of any dog must keep the dog in effective control by means of a chain, cord or leash held by the owner and attached to the dog while the dog is in:
- a reserve; or
- a public place.
A dog may be exercised off a chain, cord or leash in a Designated Reserve, if the owner:
- carries a chain, cord or leash sufficient to bring the dog under effective control if the dog behaves in a manner which threatens any person or animal;
- remains in effective voice or hand control of the dog so as to be able to promptly bring the dog under effective control by placing the dog on a chain, cord or leash if that becomes necessary; and
- does not allow the dog to worry or threaten any person or animal.
If a dog is off a chain, cord or leash in a Designated Reserve, the dog must be brought under the effective control of the owner by means of a cord, chain or leash if the dog is within 30 metres of:
- the principal location of an organised sporting event;
- the principal location of an organised public meeting; or
- a permanent barbecue or picnic area when in use.
Dogs are prohibited within the immediate perimeter of any playground at all times, and must further be on a cord, chain or leash if within ten (10) metres of the perimeter of a playground in a Designated Reserve at all times.
|Nettleton Park Reserve||Glen Iris|
|Outer Circle Linear Park||Kew|
|Hyde Park||Kew East|
|Willsmere Park||Kew East|
|Beckett Park (Part Only)||Balwyn|
|Stradbroke Park||Kew East|
|Mont Albert Park||Balwyn|
|Kate Campbell Reserve||Kew|
|King Street Chain (37A Gordon Street, Balwyn)||Balwyn|
|Foley Reserve (15-23 Foley Street, Kew)||Kew|
|Hislop Reserve||Balwyn North|
|H.A. Smith Reserve||Hawthorn|
|Macleay Park||Balwyn North|
|Koonung Creek Reserve||Balwyn North|
|Fritsch Holzer Park||Hawthorn East|
|Hartwell Sportsground||Glen Iris|
|St James Park||Hawthorn|
|Summerhill Park (Western End Only)||Glen Iris|
|Wallen Road Reserve||Hawthorn|
|Rathmines Reserve||Hawthorn East|
|Frog Hollow Reserve||Camberwell|
|Anderson Park (both ovals)||Hawthorn East|
|Highfield Park (southern lower oval)||Camberwell|
|Burke Road South Reserve||Glen Iris|
|John August Reserve||Canterbury|
|Eric Raven Reserve||Glen Iris|
|Fairmont Avenue Reserve||Camberwell|
|Hill ‘n’ Dale Park||Glen Iris|
|Murdoch Street Reserve||Camberwell|
|Connor Street Reserve||Kew East|
|Recreation Hall Reserve||Kew|
Council may, by order of resolution, and after giving public notice inviting submissions on the proposal:
- remove a reserve or part of a reserve; and/or
- add a reserve or part of a reserve to the list of Designated Reserves.
- ‘chain, cord or leash’ means a chain, cord or leash which effectively restrains the dog;
- at large’, in relation to a dog, means not under the effective control of the owner by means of a chain, cord or leash;
- ‘Designated Reserve’ means a reserve or other place which has been designated by an order of Council under section 26 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994; and
- ‘owner’ has the same meaning as in the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
Chief Executive Officer