Boroondara City Council (Council) gives notice under the Naming rules for places in Victoria - Statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities 2016 of a proposal to name the laneway adjoining 77 and 81-85 Denmark Street, Kew.
Council received a petition from members of the community requesting this laneway be named.
The name proposed is Halfey Lane. The following is some background information in relation to John Halfey:
“After immigrating to Victoria from Lancashire in 1851, John Halfey achieved success in the Bendigo goldfields. He then returned to Melbourne in 1855 with substantial capital to follow commercial pursuits. He had many mining interests and holdings in important companies, such as the Colonial Bank, Murray River shipping and Australian Alliance Assurance Co.
John Halfey was an active member of the Municipality of Kew from its inception. He was one of the early citizens who signed a petition for the constitution of Kew into a municipal district. He was elected in 1861 and served as second chairman of the municipality from 1862-63.
In 1864 he was elected for Sandhurst in the Legislative Assembly. In 1871 he joined a syndicate which acquired the Melbourne Newspaper Co. Ltd. and for many years was chief partner of Samuel Winter in managing the Herald newspaper. He was active in Parliament on mining questions and advocated a strong protective tariff. He was appointed official assignee of insolvent estates in January 1872 and while in office also became official liquidator in May 1872 and commissioner of the Supreme Court in November 1872. He resigned these posts in September 1884. Mr Halfey was also one of the original trustees of Holy Trinity Church, Kew and a magistrate at the Court of Petty Sessions.
John and Annie Halfey occupied “Ordsall” at the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road for several decades and the Renaissance portion was added by Mr Halfey. It is likely that George Wharton was the architect.
In 1889, Halfey died while working at the Herald office in Little Collins Street. He is buried in the Church of England section of Boroondara General Cemetery where he is reputed to have the tallest monument.”
If you do not support the proposal, please indicate why and/or demonstrate why the proposal does not conform to the Naming rules for places in Victoria - Statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities 2016. For more information on the naming guidelines provided by the State Government, visit the Property and Land Titles website.
A person may make a submission on the proposal. Submissions should be submitted by 26 June 2019.
Any person making a written submission is advised all submissions and personal information in the submission will be handled by Council in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
Submissions should be addressed to Director Customer Experience and Business Transformation and:
- posted to City of Boroondara, Private Bag 1, Camberwell Vic 3124
- delivered to the Council offices, 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell Vic 3124, or
- emailed to [email protected]
Council has so far been unable to locate existing family members of John Halfey to seek permission to use the proposed name. To this end, we are requesting that any family contact details be passed on from the community, and/or consent from family members.