At its meeting on 7 December 2020, Boroondara City Council resolved to designate the Fenced Dog Play Area within Gordon Barnard Reserve, Balwyn North (delineated by a fence and identified as a Fenced Dog Play Area by signage) as a Designated Area. This means that dogs may be exercised off-leash within that Fenced Dog Play Area (Designated Area).
As a reminder, the following Public Notice is published for the benefit of all dog owners and other interested persons.
Domestic Animals Act 1994
The Domestic Animals Act 1994 states that dogs must be under effective control.
The owner of any dog must keep the dog under effective control by means of a chain, cord or leash held by the owner and attached to the dog while the dog is in:
- a reserve
- a public place.
A dog may be exercised off a chain, cord or leash in a Designated Reserve or a Designated Area, if the owner:
- carries a chain, cord or leash sufficient to bring the dog under effective control if the dog behaves in a manner that threatens any person or animal
- remains in effective voice or hand control of the dog so as to be able to promptly bring the dog under effective control by placing the dog on a chain, cord or leash if that becomes necessary
- does not allow the dog to worry or threaten any person or animal.
If a dog is off a chain, cord or leash in a Designated Reserve, the dog must be brought under the effective control of the owner by means of a cord, chain or leash if the dog is within 30 metres of:
- the principal location of an organised sporting event
- the principal location of an organised public meeting
- a permanent barbecue or picnic area when in use.
Dogs are prohibited within the immediate perimeter of any playground at all times, and must further be on a cord, chain or leash if within ten (10) metres of the perimeter of a playground in a Designated Reserve at all times.
- Anderson Park (both ovals) – Hawthorn East
- Ashburton Park – Ashburton
- Beckett Park (Part Only) – Balwyn
- Belmont Park – Canterbury
- Boroondara Park – Canterbury
- Burke Road South Reserve – Glen Iris
- Connor Street Reserve – Kew East
- Cooper Reserve – Camberwell
- Eric Raven Reserve – Glen Iris
- Fairmont Avenue Reserve – Camberwell
- Fairview Park – Hawthorn
- Foley Reserve (15–23 Foley Street, Kew) – Kew
- Fritsch Holzer Park – Hawthorn East
- Frog Hollow Reserve – Camberwell
- Grace Park – Hawthorn
- H.A. Smith Reserve – Hawthorn
- Hartwell Sportsground – Glen Iris
- Hays Paddock – Kew
- Highfield Park (southern lower oval) – Camberwell
- Hill ‘n’ Dale Park – Glen Iris
- Hislop Reserve – Balwyn North
- Hyde Park – Kew East
- John August Reserve – Canterbury
- Kate Campbell Reserve – Kew
- King Street Chain (37A Gordon Street, Balwyn) – Balwyn
- Koonung Creek Reserve – Balwyn North
- Lynden Park – Camberwell
- Macleay Park – Balwyn North
- Markham Reserve – Ashburton
- Mont Albert Park – Balwyn
- Murdoch Street Reserve – Camberwell
- Nettleton Park Reserve – Glen Iris
- Outer Circle Linear Park – Kew
- Pridmore Park – Hawthorn
- Rathmines Reserve – Hawthorn East
- Recreation Hall Reserve – Kew
- Reservoir Reserve – Kew
- Smart Street Reserve (6:00 pm to 7:30 am the following day) – Hawthorn
- St James Park – Hawthorn
- Stradbroke Park – Kew East
- Summerhill Park (Western End Only) – Glen Iris
- Victoria Park – Kew
- Wallen Road Reserve – Hawthorn
- Warner Reserve – Ashburton
- Willison Park – Camberwell
- Willsmere Park – Kew East
Council may, by order of resolution, and after giving public notice inviting submissions on the proposal:
- remove a reserve or part of a reserve from the list of Designated Reserves
- add a reserve or part of a reserve to the list of Designated Reserves.
- ‘chain, cord or leash’ means a chain, cord or leash that effectively restrains the dog
- ‘at large’, in relation to a dog, means not under the effective control of the owner by means of a chain, cord or leash
- ‘Designated Reserve’ means a reserve or other place that has been designated as such by an order of Council under section 26 of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 but excludes a Designated Area
- ‘owner’ has the same meaning as in the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
Chief Executive Officer