Boroondara City Council is considering making a local law to be known as the "Common Seal and Conduct at Meetings Local Law".
The following information about the proposed local law is provided in accordance with section 119 of the Local Government Act 1989 (the Act):
Purpose of the Proposed Local Law
The purpose of this Local Law is to:
- revoke Council’s Meeting Procedure Local Law 2017;
- regulate the use of the common seal;
- prohibit unauthorised use of the common seal or any device resembling the common seal; and
- create offences relating to the conduct at Council and delegated Committee meetings.
General purport of the Proposed Local Law
The proposed local law, if made, will:
- regulate the storage and use of the common seal;
- establish a law which will maintain order at meetings; and
- create enforcement mechanisms for contravention of the proposed local law, which may incur a penalty specified in the proposed local law.
A copy of the proposed local law and community impact statement may be obtained from Council's website www.boroondara.vic.gov.au.
Any person affected by the proposed local law may make a submission relating to it to the Council. All submissions received by the Council within 28 days of the publication of this notice will be considered in accordance with section 223 of the Local Government Act 1989. Any person making a submission is entitled to request (in the submission itself) to be heard in support of the submission by appearing before a meeting of Council (either personally or by a person acting on his or her behalf). In that event, the person will be notified of the date and time of the hearing.
Any person making a written submission under section 223 of the Act is advised unless indicated otherwise, submissions will be presented to Council including the submitter’s name. Details of submissions will also be included within the official Council Agenda and Minutes which are a permanent public document and record and which will also be made available on Council’s website.
Submissions should be addressed to Manager Governance and posted to Boroondara City Council, Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124, or emailed to [email protected].
Submissions must be received by 5:15pm on Friday 14 August 2020. Enquiries should be directed to David Thompson, Manager Governance on 9278 4470.
Council will meet to consider making the local law in the form of the proposed local law at the meeting of Council on 24 August 2020.
Chief Executive Officer