Maranoa Ward Councillor Cynthia Watson has been elected Mayor for the 2019/20 Council year.
Councillor Watson’s election as the 24th Mayor of the City of Boroondara was announced at a Civic Reception at the Camberwell Civic Centre on Wednesday 6 November 2019.
In her commencement speech, the newly-elected Mayor acknowledged the work of her predecessors and community groups, which have contributed to building Boroondara into a vibrant and harmonious community.
“Boroondara is a special place. I pay tribute to the unique contribution of all who have built and cared for the beautiful City we love, and I am humbled to lead this exceptional group of councillors,” said Cr Watson.
Councillor Watson succeeds outgoing Mayor, Maling Ward Councillor Jane Addis, who has led a passionate group of councillors to embark on vital projects for the community.
As Mayor, Councillor Watson will lead Council’s implementation of major projects in 2019/20, including:
- the commencement of food organics and garden organics collections, commonly known as ‘FOGO’. From May 2020, residents will be able to put their food waste into their garden waste bin, diverting 19,000 tonnes of waste from landfill for recycling and reuse as soil conditioners and fertilisers.
- the redevelopment of the new Kew Recreation Centre, with a final design concept to be released for community feedback
- continued work on phase one of the Boroondara Customer First Program, a long term initiative which will fundamentally change and improve the way residents deal with Council. The Customer First Program is designed to make engaging with Boroondara as simple and straightforward as possible, whether it is done online, in person or over the phone.
The new Mayor also welcomed Council’s new Committee Chairs:
- Cr Garry Thompson, Chair of the Urban Planning Special Committee
- Cr Coral Ross, Chair of the Special Services Committee.
Councillor Watson is committed to delivering exceptional services and infrastructure for the community.
“The Boroondara community is why I am here. I care about my community and it is my privilege to serve them with my fellow councillors. They are at the heart of everything I do,” said Cr Watson.
For more information, please call Eren Cakmakkaya, Media and Advocacy Specialist at the City of Boroondara on 0481 912 411.