We have modified our annual weed management program this year. This is because more people are using our open spaces as a result of coronavirus restrictions.
We have rescheduled spraying dates for Friday 16 October to Thursday 29 October 2020 (weather permitting). We will be treating fewer open spaces and focusing our efforts on sports fields.
As part of the program we will spray selective herbicides. The herbicides used are regulated under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Act to ensure that they do not pose an unacceptable risk to human and wildlife health and the environment.
Aims of weed management
We have designed the program to control weeds in turf in sportsgrounds across Boroondara.
The aim of the program is to:
- reduce the spread of weed seed
- provide a safer playing surface for people using our sportsgrounds
- improve the appearance of our sportsgrounds
- improve the health and quality of turf
For information regarding pesticide regulatory process, please visit the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority website.
Signage will be clearly displayed in parks advising the dates that spraying is planned to take place. Once a site has been sprayed, signage will be updated to notify you when this occurred.
Separate signage will be displayed while spraying is underway.
Sportsgrounds to be sprayed
The sportsgrounds below will be sprayed between Friday 16 October and Thursday 29 October, weather permitting.
Other areas that were scheduled for weed treatment will now be rescheduled for mid-autumn 2021.
- Ashburton Park oval
- Balwyn Park - North and South ovals
- Burwood Reserve - East and West ovals
- Camberwell Sports Ground
- Canterbury Sports Ground
- Deepdene Park oval
- Dorothy Laver Reserve
- Eric Raven Reserve oval
- Ferndale Park oval
- Frog Hollow Reserve oval
- Gordon Barnard Reserve - East and West oval
- Greythorn Park oval
- H.A. Smith Reserve oval
- Hartwell Sports Ground - East and West ovals
- Hays Paddock - North and South ovals
- Highfield Park - North and South
- Hislop Park oval
- Howard Dawson Reserve oval
- Leigh Park oval
- Lewin Reserve oval
- Lynden Park - East and West oval
- MaCleay Park - Ovals 2, 3 and 5
- Markham Reserve
- Myrtle Park - East and West oval
- Nettleton Park oval
- Rathmines Road Reserve oval
- St. James Park oval
- Stradbroke Park - North
- Stradbroke Park - South
- Victoria Park - North and South ovals
- Victoria Road Reserve oval
- Warner Reserve oval
- Watson Park oval
- Willsmere Park (soccer pitches)