Congratulations to the winners of the overall prize for VicHealth Walk to School 2016 in Boroondara, St Anne’s Primary School and Hawthorn West Primary School.
The two joint winners will receive the "Footprints to School" package, which mark out several routes to school on the footpath for students to follow. Hawthorn West Primary School was also awarded the North Eastern region first time participant winner by VicHealth; they will receive a classroom soccer kit.
Throughout October, students in Boroondara pulled out their runners and got active as part of VicHealth’s Walk to School month. A total of 63,928.6 kilometres were walked by students to and from school during the month.
Council received a grant from VicHealth to support local schools and families to participate in Walk to School and encourage students to walk, scoot, ride or roll to school instead of taking the car.
Smoothie morning breakfasts were held every Friday morning at different schools during the month or October and were a huge success, helping to teach students about the importance of being active.
Congratulations to the following schools for having the highest ratio of walks for each week during October:
- First week: Chatham Primary School
- Second week: St Michael’s Primary School
- Third week: Camberwell South Primary School
- Fourth week: Boroondara Park Primary School.
Thank you to all the school involved in this year’s Walk to School initiative:
- Belle Vue Primary School, Boroondara Park Primary School, St Anne’s Primary School
- Balwyn North Primary School, Camberwell Grammar (boys junior) School
- St Cecilia’s Primary School, Camberwell South Primary School
- Hawthorn West Primary School
- Auburn Primary School, Camberwell Primary School
- Canterbury Primary School, Chatham Primary School, Our Holy Redeemer Primary School
- Solway Primary School, St Michaels Primary School
- Kew Primary School, Ruyton Girl’s School.
Learn more about the Walk to School program.