The first sod has been turned on the North East Community Hub project, which will deliver a new $17.2 million facility for people in the City’s north.
The Honourable Josh Frydenberg MP, Federal Member for Kooyong, joined the Mayor of Boroondara, Councillor Phillip Healey, Councillor Jim Parke, Councillor Cynthia Watson and community members at the event on Monday 6 March.
Cr Healey used the occasion to thank the Australian Government for providing a $3.2 million grant to the project, through the National Stronger Regions Fund. He also acknowledged the partnership with the North Balwyn RSL Sub-branch, which has provided land to Council on a long-term lease.
When it opens midway through 2018, the North East Community Hub will have:
- a neighbourhood house
- community meeting spaces
- a library lounge
- a large multipurpose function room
- an integrated childcare centre (76 long day care places with a funded kindergarten and 15 occasional care places),
- a two-unit maternal and child health centre
- allied health and counselling services.
- the North Balwyn RSL
- a new open space on the corner of Centre Way and Trentwood Avenue.
For more information, visit North East Community Hub.