Cr Jane Addis (Maling Ward) has been elected 26th Mayor of the City of Boroondara for the 2021-22 council year. Cr Wes Gault (Glenferrie Ward) has been elected Deputy Mayor.
The announcement was made at a livestreamed council meeting at the Hawthorn Arts Centre on Monday 22 November 2021.
As Mayor, Cr Addis (pictured above left, with Cr Gault) will lead Council’s implementation of major projects in 2021-22, including $80m in capital works projects to meet community expectations and deliver a significant boost to the local economy.
Some of these exciting developments include:
- a new community precinct in Canterbury
- upgrades to various outdoor facilities
- revitalisation of local shopping districts in Camberwell, Hawthorn and Canterbury through the implementation of placemaking plans.
“2022 will be an exciting year for Boroondara where we will bring to life plans and policies developed in collaboration with our community," said Cr Jane Addis. "For example, the Climate Action Plan, with a substantial list of 113 environmental actions, is the third strategy to be adopted by Council in response to climate change; the Boroondara Reconciliation Strategy will formalise Council’s ongoing commitment to reconciliation by providing Council with a four-year vision for reconciliation in the municipality; while our placemaking projects will help reinvigorate our local economy along with current revitalisation projects."
The new Mayor also welcomed Council’s new Committee Chairs:
- Cr Garry Thompson, Chair of the Urban Planning Delegated Committee
- Cr Lisa Hollingsworth, Chair of the Services Delegated Committee