Congratulations to Cr Garry Thompson (Solway Ward) who has been elected Mayor for the 2020-21 Council year, and Cr Cynthia Watson (Maranoa Ward) who has become the inaugural Deputy Mayor of Boroondara.
Councillor Thompson’s election as the 25th Mayor of the City of Boroondara was announced at a livestreamed Council meeting held at the Hawthorn Arts Centre on Monday 23 November 2020.
As Mayor, Cr Thompson will lead Council’s implementation of major projects in 2020-21, including:
- $80m in capital works projects to meet community needs, provide Victorians with jobs and deliver the local economy a significant boost. Some of the exciting developments include the new Kew Recreation Centre and a new community precinct in Canterbury.
- Continued funding of COVID-19 support and relief activities, comprising multiple initiatives to ease the financial burden on the Boroondara community.
- Minimising our environmental footprint by exploring new visions and ideas with a municipal Climate Action Plan.
At the meeting, the new mayor welcomed Council’s new Committee Chairs:
- Cr Jim Parke, Chair of the Urban Planning Delegated Committee
- Cr Jane Addis, Chair of the Services Delegated Committee.