We're pleased to share the Children and Young People’s Action Plan 2020-25. It outlines our strategic approach to support the needs and aspirations of children, young people and their families in our community.
The actions in the plan reflect the community’s priorities and will guide the delivery of high-quality services, programs, events and spaces for people aged 0-25 years over the next four years.
- Work with community partners to identify trends and advocate state and federal governments.
- Develop a youth volunteering program to encourage young people to play an active role in the community and care for the environment.
- Explore opportunities to increase Council’s digital presence with young people involve.
- Continue to involve the voices of children, families, and young people in the re-development of parks and playgrounds.
How we developed the action plan
From January to April 2020, we asked nearly 1,000 children, young people, parents, caregivers and service providers in Boroondara what was important to them now and in the future.
We engaged the community in a variety of consultations, including surveys, focus groups, and creative drawing activities to help define the priority areas for action in children.
We also used The Nest framework from Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth to develop the strategic objectives in the Children and Young People Action Plan.
The Nest incorporates six outcomes that contribute towards the wellbeing of children and youth aged under 25 years of age. These include:
- being loved and safe
- having material basics
- having a positive sense of culture and identity
- being Healthy