Join us outside Hawthorn Arts Centre on Friday 20 April, 3.30pm to 6pm, to celebrate the diverse cultures, lifestyles and abilities of young people who live, study and hang out in Boroondara.
Caroline Varney, Youth Support and Program Worker at Boroondara Youth Services, is the force behind Diversity Day.
“As part of National Youth Week, we’ve organised Diversity Day to recognise and celebrate our young people. It’s important they have a voice within Boroondara and feel they’re recognised and included.”
The team at Youth Services has been working overtime to organise the event and are excited about the afternoon of festivities. “We’d love to see lots of young people come down after school and bring their friends, family and siblings."
"It’s going to be heaps of fun – we’ve got live entertainment, music, a photo booth, henna artist, craft station and much more. There’s also a food station where everyone can enjoy free food and drinks,” said Caroline.
For Caroline, Diversity Day also represents how we should be promoting an inclusive community for all young people, every day.
“The youth workers at Boroondara Youth Services see many young people who are searching for inclusivity, support and programs that recognise their individuality.
"It’s so important they feel accepted and included. This means that in day-to-day life, they wake up in the morning and walk down the street knowing that being different is ok and not everyone is the same – and are in a community that supports them in who they are.”
Diversity Day event
What: Diversity Day
When: 3.30pm–6pm, Friday 20 April
Where: Outside next to Hawthorn Arts Centre, 360 Burwood Rd, Hawthorn (near the entrance to the 360 Youth Centre and corridor between Burwood Rd and the rear carpark.)
Who: Everyone is welcome
Tickets: Just come along; there’s no need to book tickets
360 Youth Centre
Did you know that you can visit or get in touch with our youth centre any time throughout the year? We provide a whole range of support for young people aged 10-25 and their families who live in Boroondara.
The services we offer:
- one-on-one support with a youth worker – focusing on mental health, housing and accommodation, financial assistance, legal assistance and more
- free counselling
- material aid support – Safeway vouchers , food bank
- drop-in centre – Boroondara 360 Youth Resource Centre is open 12pm to 6pm, Monday to Friday, and provides, computers, Xbox, Wii, kitchen facilities, computers and a free band rehearsal space
- in-centre programs for young people
- school holiday activities
- in-school programs and support for schools within Boroondara
- professional development for youth workers and school staff.