Over the next 12 months, Balwyn Library will undergo an $8.5 million transformation into a more contemporary facility with attractive and appealing spaces to meet, read and study.
During the construction period, the popular library will be relocated to the former Balwyn Leisure Centre, 230 Balwyn Rd, Balwyn North – 1.6 kilometres from the current Balwyn Library.
To allow for this relocation, Balwyn Library opened at its temporary home at 10am on Thursday 19 January 2017.
Construction is due to be completed in early 2018.
Returns and reservations
Items borrowed from Balwyn Library are being given an extended loan period and will not be due back until after the library reopens on 19 January 2017. However, if you would like to return an item during the move, you can do so via:
- any other Boroondara library (Ashburton, Camberwell, Hawthorn or Kew)
- a temporary book return chute outside the original site at 336 Whitehorse Road, Balwyn.
Reservations pick up will be from the Kew Library from Friday 6 January until Wednesday 18 January 2017.
About the temporary site
- There will be no reduction in opening hours.
- Up to 90 per cent of the collection will be available including reservation pick-up.
- WiFi access and public computers will be available.
- The majority of regular programs will continue, but some of the sessions with larger audiences may be moved to other branches
- Adequate parking will be provided.
- The site is well serviced by public transport – the 285 bus runs along Balwyn Road and the 304 along Belmore Road.
For more information on the relocation and major project, visit Balwyn Library redevelopment.