Members of our community gathered at the Hawthorn Arts Centre yesterday for the Annual Community Strengthening Grants Celebration.
The event celebrates Boroondara community groups, organisations and clubs that were successful in their applications for grant funding to support initiatives that positively influence the community.
Council is proud to provide funding through the Annual Community Strengthening Grants program each year. The response to this year’s grants round was extremely positive, with 87 different groups receiving their share of over $391,536.
The successful applications will result in projects that support participation in a range of community development activities, promote social inclusion, contribute to community wellbeing, create positive ageing and accessible recreation opportunities, and enhance cultural innovation within Boroondara.
Because of this year’s Annual Community Strengthening Grants program:
- Boroondara Preschool will be able to expand their current traffic safety program through the purchase of equipment and resources that provide children with everyday opportunities to learn through play.
- Cultures Together Choir will be established to bring music to seniors in our municipality. The choir will visit aged care centres within Boroondara to perform sing-alongs and to socialise with residents.
- You Matter will support victims of domestic violence to set up a safe and supportive household away from the dangers they may be facing by providing second hand fridges, washing machines and other necessary items.
- Alamein Football Club will deliver a school holiday program of soccer clinics during the summer period aimed at girls between the ages of 9 and 12.
- headspace Hawthorn Youth Advisory Group will run a social engagement cooking program for young people aged 15-25 to address social anxiety and exclusion, while engaging in life skills by learning how to cook simple, budget friendly and nutritious meals.
Congratulations to all of this year’s successful applicants. The next round of applications are expected to open in March 2020.
To learn more about the Annual Community Strengthening Grants, visit our Annual Community Strengthening Grants page and be sure to check back for more information about next year’s program early next year.
If you need any help or advice about the Annual Community Strengthening Grants, please contact 9278 4753.